New box design. tell me if this would be a good idea

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3732
i know the drawing kinda sux but i just want to get an idea. the center piece is the port. i figured having the port stick out the box would give me more cuft inside the box.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 508
i think u need to put another mdf on each chamber cuz that port is too small and i think u want a slot ported right

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3733
okay i am sure when i go to tune the box the size of the port will be different. the drawing is not to scale. its a rough sketch of the idea i have. from each box there will be an opening at the bottom and meet in the center.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 801
I dont understand do you mean something like this.
Upload

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3734
okay let me explain a little better. it will be 2 separate boxes. the blue thing is the external port. the box will fire up.

Upload

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3735
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 803
Well if they are both on the same mono amp I would think so.
But I would add a partition but thats just me I only have 3 boxs under my belt so far.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3761
nvm. i've decided to go with pvc port box. the slot port takes up too much space in the box. if i was to tune it to like 28hz or 30hz it needs to be long. that means it would take alot of space inside the box.

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 230
hey chad when r u goin to build ur new box

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3764
i am gonna start this weekend. i am going to take my time though. i am gonna just do little by little everyday cause i am too lazy to do it all at once.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 323
Upload

I think this is what he means...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4777
Colby's example illustrates Chad's idea best I think but you could also do a pvc wrap around (external) like Ive posted on this forum before from someone elses website

Username: Gravestream

Post Number: 5
I'd just slot the ends, you'd get a better port better airspace, and save on the effort

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 520
yeah but he need to make the port longer

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3767
yeah like lilrob said. that port is too short to be tuned to around 30hz. thats why i am going with 2 3" diameter pvc pipe in each chamber. the slot port will reduce the cuft inside too much. a 3 cuft box will have just about little over 2 cuft after the slot port displacement and the driver displacement.

Silver Member
Username: Dankum

Post Number: 134
u should always keep subs in different chambers

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 927
not always.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 2869
i heard someone say once, that the pro's use single chamber......*shrugs*

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3774
hey guys i just want to make sure of one thing. if i were to build a box with 2 3" pvc pipe ports, then i just calculate the port with a 6" diameter and take half of the length of that right? meaning 2 3" diameter by 13" length is same as 1 6" diameter by 26" length.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Yes the pros do it, but when u put more than one sub in one chamber the subs have to be playing exactly the same, if one falls behind or quits all together your gonna have problems. The reasons for keepin subs seperate far out weigh the resons not to.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3779
if you have good subs and amps then you wouldn't have that problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
lol do what u want bro, im just tellin u how it is. the quality doesnt really have ne thing to do with it. its hard to match subs that r in the same chamber. not only that but seperating them would add another brace. i could keep goin, but u obviously have your mind made up. good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2566
chad, dont calaculate that way or you will screw up your entire design lol. first of all, having 2 ports is different than having one in a single chamber. when you have 2 ports each one is tuned to half the volume of the chamber, or something like that. but 2 3 inch ports DO NOT equal 1 6 inch port. 2 3 inch ports have a port area of 14.13 cq inches. a single 6 inch port as a port area of 28.26 sq inches. so >4< 3 inch ports equal a single 6 inch port. to be honest i dont think 2 3 inch ports is large enough. id go with 2 4 inch ports, flared.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3781
okay trevor maybe you can calculate it for me then. i will be building a 2.5 cuft per chamber box. i want 2 ports each chamber. so how long do i need to make each ports if they are 4 inch ports?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3782
o by the way billy bob, i am going to build a separate chamber cause i will be building a box for each sub.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2571
okay i'll calculate that in a minute. i thought u were doing 1 chamber and 2 3 inch ports. that would have been far off. if its for each chamber then 2 3 inch pports may be okay. a good rule of thumb is 10sq inches for every 1cuft but ive seen plenty of great installs who dont completely follow it. steve mead did an install for his wife with 2 12 MTs and 2 4 inch flared ports so that has to say something... but okay im going to calculate this now... im assuming you want 2.5net unless you say otherwise...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2572
WITH (2) 3 INCH PORTS IN A 2.5 CUFT NET-30HZ
14.74 inches long. (each tube) port disp- appx .13 cuft

WITH (2) 4 INCH PORTS IN A 2.5 CUFT NET- 30HZ
27.18 inches long (each tube) port disp- appx .4cuft

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2573
http://www.carstereo.com/help/articles.cfm?id=31
thats what i used. if you dont want 2.5 net than just keep adjusting your port size and find the difference between the port disp. and the volume. also make sure to include driver disp.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3783
yeah thats the site i use all the time. but they only have the calculator for one port. thats why i was wondering how i would go about calculating two ports.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us