Wiring Recomendations

Username: Jryan781

Post Number: 10
I got my amp professionally installed a while back. My amp is 1600 watts and they used a 4 guage power wire. But today when I was lookin online at different amp wiring kits I noticed that all the 4 guage wiring kits I saw handle up to 800 watts. Why did they use 4 guage for my amp? Should they have used a larger power cable?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 451
What brand and model is your amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Pyramid PB1281X

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 452
4 GA should be plenty for that amp.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7418
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 679
they saw pyramid, thats why they only used 4ga, and to tell you the truth, 4ga is probably overkill for that amp.

your amp is 400w RMS per channel, 1600w peak

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 453
I didn't want to say it, but agreed. 8 GA would probably have been fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Terry what do you mean by "they saw pyramid, thats why they only used 4ga" and how is it overkill for my amp??? just wonderin.....

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 454
He means that Pyramid greatly exagerates their wattage output. They rate their amps by MAX watts which is completely useless. A "2000w" Pyramid amp is lucky to push 400w-500w RMS...maybe. Just looking at the price alone can give you an idea. I only checked one site and found that amp for less than $100. Any true 1600w amp will cost at least four times that amount and possibly alot more depending on the brand.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 455
By the way, I based the 4X comment on internet prices. Regular retail would be way higher on a true 1600w amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for the info, I never knew about Pyramid and their wattage exagerations. Does any other brands besides Pyramid exagerate their wattage? And is it bad for my amp if im using a larger than recomended guage for the power?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us