Marshall White....

Bronze Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 62
Hey Marshall, its Michael Cheatham...I had the post about the little system I had hooked up, wanting to know if 128db is good. Anyway, you asked a few questions and I'm gonna answer them for you. Sorry it took so long, but I've been busy.
1>How much did I pay for it....well, I guess you could say about $150. I actually got the subs (already in a box, and with a different amp) over e-bay for about $50. The Visonic amp, I bought from Wal-Mart. It came in a setup with a 12 inch sub... but the 12 didn't sound very good. Anyway, I fried the amp I got over e-bay, but the subs still worked fine, and after I had installed the amp and the 12, and found out the 12 was crap, I hooked up the 10's parallel, and they sounded good.
2-where did I get it....well I just answered that above.
and finally
3-where did I get it metered....I bought a meter and set it to hold the loudest reading, then went through several different songs on a bass CD I have... and found which one hit the highest, then I went back and tweaked a few settings until I got the maximum db I could.
Well, hope this answers your question, oh and yeah, I figure the amp doesn't really put out but maybe 210 watts at the most.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 714
kool another spl enthusiast from louisiana. do u go to many comps?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2713
hey michael,

just wondering...what kind of meter is that you bought?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
scoche>not sure i spelled that right, but they now sell them at wal-mart for about $30

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2715
never seen em...lol, i know the brand though.

how high of an SPL does you read to?

i'm getting a TL pretty soon and i'm goin to try to get a shop here in monroe to sponsor a non-sactions SPL comp. do you know any people that would come to a comp if i get one setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
i've had the meter up to 143 by screaming into it. my system will only go up to 128.9 and I've only done that once. I usually hit in the low to mid 120's..whats TL? and as for anyone that would come to a comp, not really as I'm not into comps myself, I just wanted to add some extra bass to my system without too much money.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2716
TL = termlab (~$650 spl meter)

what walmart did you get that meter at?
i may have to swing by and grab one just to see.

it has a digital read out, right? (and is it over by the audio stuff?)

if you can scream into it and get 143dB...its prolly way off, lol. but it can give you alil something to go by.

for most people ~130db on the TL is plenty loud...i have alot of people that hate for me to turn up the volume in my truck for long times. (whole songs)

i just do 139.7db in usaci street beat on track 1 of the young jeezey CD w/ my daily port in (they average you SPL like 5 times a second for 30 seconds) but i burp at 148+ w/ my spl port...i have only had like 4 friends that have ever heard my SX at 148+, now they wont get back in the truck when i have my SPL port in :-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2718
hahahahaha...i just went to walmart and got one those mics. $26.50 and it looks like a walkie-talkie.

i think a already broke it :-)

all it was reading was 129.7dB w/ a 30hz tone...then i stuck it in the port...lmao. now it says 'over' all the time, i wonder why hehehe.

guess i'm just gonna have to take it back to walmart...lmao.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2720
oh yea...i yelled in mine and only got it to like 128.5

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
well, just to keep things going....I tweaked things around a bit more and then was listening to a song on the radio...don't know the name of it... it has a sound track simular to "Laffy Taffy" , but the words say "Bet you can't do it like that!"...if anyone knows the song, please tell me who does it. Anyway...with that song, with my bass turned up only 1/2 on the radio (if I turn it up louder it distorts and the bass actually sounds deeper with it at 1/2), the gain is all the way up on the amp, and the low pass filter set at about 100hz (it goes from 50-250hz)and I set it a little below halfway)...anyway, with everything set like that...I hit 132.2 yahoo...but now my ears hurt, looks like earplugs will be my next purchase lol. also, when I hit 132.2, I was at a 3 story building I work at, and one of the girls I work with, who was on the 2nd floor heard me.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2760
i messed around w/ my cheap lil meter alil while ago w/ my computer...i was surprized that it is reasonibly accurate against itself.

i ran a tone generator on my comp w/ a -10db reference 80hz tone and turned the volume up on the computer till the meter read 99.9dB....then i changed the reference level to -7dB and left the volume the same...meter read 102.8dB.

i have noticed that this cheap lil mic is VERY directionally bias...you can move it just 1" and the SPL can change as much as 2-3dB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
TRUE, but it is good enough for me to get a good idea of how loud my boom is...lol

Username: Bmarian21

Post Number: 8
since we are on how loud it is , how about this thing

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=53471
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us