Does it hurt for the magnet to touch the box?

Bronze Member
Username: Kunit

Post Number: 100
I built a new box and its a wedge enclosure. I put the sub in it tonight and the magnet hits the back of the box. I can screw the sub to the front of the box so it doesnt leak but the magnet touches the back of the box. Will this hurt anything? sound? Rattling? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2193
yep.
hurt the woofer and coils. Wont let them get much air to cool them...and if its ported, the air wont pass easy

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2400
what he said^^^ u need to let the vented pole breathe.. else u heat the voice coils..

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
well...the hole magnet doesnt touch....just one corner of it...I plan to port it. theres like 1.5 cuft...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2403
"well...the hole magnet doesnt touch....just one corner of it...I plan to port it. theres like 1.5 cuft..." georgina

if the hole dosent touch, what does? is it atleast 1-2inches away from the vent. Its a vent in the middle of the magnet correcT?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
A corner of the magnet touches the back of the box. the magnet doesnt sit flat on the box...just the corner. Like this...

[img http://pic.piczo.com/img/i186838004_12464.jpg[/img]

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2411
ahh, I think its Ok to go.. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
fiewwwww...lol. I've been working on this box for a week off and on and when I went to put the sub in...it didnt fit too well. I manage to tighten her down enough though. I just hope it fits in my truck ok...I'll have pics of it in the bragging section once I get errr donnnne:P

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 597
Did you measure the box and all that? For more room cut a extra ring out seal it to the box, then mount the subs on the ring for the extra space....if box is measured to a tee then this would ruin internal box specs as it would create more air space

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 880
^^^^^

Do what he said, you'll thank yourself. Just cut a mounting ring, maybe 1/2, to 3/4 of an inch thick, at least. This will give you the added room you need to not have your magnet rubbing your box.

The magnet touching your box - could cause it to rattle against it, causing a horrible knocking noise.

It's your choice though.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1200
The ring is a great idea.....you can keep your box and still move the magnet away from the side

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Yea.....I thought of that at first but the subs are going behind my seat in my truck...and im not sure if there will be enough room. The subs might hit the back of the seat. I'll try it first the way it is and if it rattles...I'll check the clearance deal and make a spacer.Thanks!

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2438
yea, try it... also depends on how much power u hittin it with too. put ur box to the test! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2515
just amke sure that magnet and wall doesnt rattle. that would sound horrible!

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
my box has over 125 screws plus liquid nails. its 62" long, 21" high in the back, 7" in the front and 9" deep. I used every bit of room I had behind the seats for 2 12". 1.6 cuft of space per sub. Is that too much space for sealed...Or should I port it? Im going to try it sealed and if I don't like it i'm going to port it.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2516
dont port it. for 12s a good rule is 2 cuft net each sub. but of course each sub has its own personal best volume... but 1.6 should be fine. 1-1.5 if good and 1.6 is too. it will drop a little lower than the traditional 1 cuft per 12. my brother insists on 2cuft sealed for his l7 12... but i guess thats to try to get as much sq as possible out of it. also, he thinks only sealed boxes have sq... i am going to try to get him to do a 10 ssi ported though :-) will be just as loud and sound way better. i think ima do 30hz tune with a 4inch flared port.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2517
that may have been confusing. 2cuft each net ported. 1-1.5 is common for sealed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
but ported will be 3 db louder:-(

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7394
1.6cu ft will work just fine if ur buying a pair of 12" Alpine type Rs . I have mine in the same vol & even 3" pvc pipe ported i shook my buddy's house & garage just monday gone when i went by him - my ride is a hatchback https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/189456.html

so it might not sound as loud in ur ride but ur box vol is not bad @ all ......

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2524
rovin- but if yours is 1.6 each sub ported thats 1.6 net right? if he has 1.6 now hed have to do external ports and that would be ugly... unless he can find a way to make them atractive?

Silver Member
Username: Dankum

Post Number: 114
mark where the magnet touches the box, and remove some of the material in that area.
Exp. Remove like and 1\8" in a 2" circle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
I've got 2 Ultimate subs. They were pretty good stuff in their day. They're old now...But I got 2 subs, 4 channel 700 watt amp, and 2 tweeters for $130.I cut out rings to space the subs...so i'll try that and if that doesnt work, I'll remove some of the wood some how. Thanks for all the advice!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us