My own custom 3 way component set can i do it

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 552
i want to put together my own component speakers......well really i wanted a 8 or 10 sub woofer up front.....well i got a kappa 10 and it was a little 2 big for that....

so tangbang was the way to go....but i just want a 3 way set.....like the look and hopefully it will bring more bass up to the fron the way i like it....i have a 300/4 needs 2 be refurbed so i dont no when im gona get that stratight can u guys help me

well really all i need to know is it gonna b possible to blen z midbass with some other componets....cant affor 300$....

Bronze Member
Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 26
Man Some time ago I wanted to do the same thing, believe me it sounds just great, i didn't have expensive stuff but it did sound good enough for me. I had S-type alpine comps in front and two RF 8" in a sealed fiberglass box also in front. Both the comps and subs were driven by the same amp, comps with xover at 100hz 12dB and subs 100hz 18dB, finally i adjusted the sub level to match the volume of the comps, after some time with it i got it well balanced, good midbass *note* MIDBASS not deep low bas. I liked so much the sound that even when I got my new 3-way focal set I kept the 8", so actually i'd call it a 4-way configuration, tweeters, mids, midbass and subwoofer however i didn't want to use the subwoofers to sound loud, but just to complete the rest of the frequencies with the same level as the comps so I wouldn't notice when the 6.5" ends and when the 8" starts.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 27
hey, wanna know what i did before doing that? I had the same comps and a pair of soundstream 6x9s in the rear, since i blew off the mid and tweeter of the left 6x9, i decided to cut the wire in the other speaker so there is no mid nor tweeter, and I used those 6x9 as midbass, with xover at 60hz 18-24dB, it did sound good.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 607
if you want a good 3 way setup with good midbass and muscially sound and have the depth in the door for it, I would get this route:

Tang Band 6.5 in the door(depth is 3 5/8 though)
HD-53(5.25in woofer) in kick with a cdt drt-26 with braxial mount.

Run the HD-53 off one amp giving it around 150rms and the Tang Band 6.5 about 50rms. Cross the TB at 80-500hz with a 12db slope on the low end and a 6db slope on the high end. Cross the HD-53 on the low end at 400hz on 12db slope and use the passive crossover to slope over the highs. Should be really nice...and if the TB doesn't fit due to depth, use a set of HD-6 or ES-600 for the mids.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5935
I'd look at something like a Peerless XLS 8" from Solen, SEAS L22, Dayton Reference 4 ohm (<-those Daytons are cheap and really good).

Are you looking to go active with the components and put those together from raw drivers, or just go with a prefab component set?

Silver Member

Post Number: 555
Hey thanks all u guys i didnt think that i was going to get an answer.....lol....

but its kinda hard for me 2 get an enclosure for the 8's though....since i cant and dont want to cut my doors....i have an all original 71gt torino.... so im gonna bld a console for all my a/v stuff.....so how much cu ft does those tang bangs need.....how much bass will it actually produce....i have 1 mb quart pwe 354 (will b 2 soon) i want some more bass upfront by me....i like outphase idea.....i dont think i have the room though....u have any pics of ur setup.....i have a jl 300/4 (needs repair) so will that work is it 2 much power

if i can i still want to try to put 2 8's....which subs have a low profile that are $cheap$ and not "CHEAP"

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 610
Tang Band 8 are out too and still "cheap". But mounting them in the door will be best and use the door as the enclosure just seal it up well. I wouldn't try them in the kick you'll never give it enough room to breathe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
i cant use my doors...."Well i could kinda" but im not cutting up my doors.... like i said i have an all orignal 71gt torino....an im not going to cut the door up..." i am however going to do othe stuff like rims, lowering, SystemUpload....but nothing that involvers cutting.....

can i add something to the door to make an enclousure for an 8" .....cutting the door is not an option....

hey an alteraudio whut freq's can the tangbangs produce....reall bass or high mid bass freq's

those is the speakers i wanted....or a set of punch stage 1 pakage from soundomain cuz it comes with 2 subs for 80 or should i just get the tangbangs...

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 619
The 8's can play into the 80hz range to I think 300hz I'll have to cehck but depending on what type of space you give them will kinda determine to frequency range it can get. If you could build a baffle onto the door trim panel and a small box around the hole's opening in the door's metal it could work. I'd have to see some pics of the door.

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
aight ill see what i can do...ill send u pics of my door....or find some on da net

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Upload sorta what my doors like...(well realy it is the same overall shape) just the panel cosemetically looks different)

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
hey alteraudiousa.....look inside my post....LOL(like he can see it) Upload

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 627
and you dont want to cut the panel right?

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 31
Have you seen qlogic panels? They are like this (pic). Maybe you can make a fiberglass panel, like i did, I think an 8" would easily fit there.Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
cant use that either cuz....i have a small leak....that gets worse when the rain hits...hard....it turns into a watterfall...so thats out 2....im stuck with the console idea..

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 628
I ahve seen cars with center console pods but they still use a small pod in the kick. You can get a Q logic kick and mod it up to fit better with some fiberglass and resin. I did that.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5942
"cant use that either cuz....i have a small leak....that gets worse when the rain hits...hard....it turns into a watterfall...so thats out 2....im stuck with the console idea"

Cowl leak. Common to 60s/70s cars. PITA fixing that, too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
PITA Uploadwhats that mean......but my dad prolly would like that.....idea...cuz like i said that kick pannel is all original.....even though it has a leak..(the original part isnt the worst, I could convince my dad to let me do thar)its that leak....will it damage my speakers.......how can i seal it off to keep it from geting wet...i could just get marine speakers...are there any good marine ones that would suit my purpose....(prolly not)

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 630
water is water, i doubt any speaker will like being drowned in water. I would fiberglass the back part of the kick panel or fg a mold of the original kick and create a pod using that. Just seal up the back. What you'd want to do is put like a 4in driver in there with good imaging, put the larger 6.5 in the center console( imaging not as important as you should make it play from 63hz-400hz at most) and mount the tweets somewhere else that has good placement.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 34
Isn't there any way to seal the leak?, you said it is a small leak, maybe you can use silicone or something, otherwise put the 4" as alteraudiousa says and the 6.5" in the other side, just in front of it.

Do not set the 6.5 too high I think 400 is a little high. Some 6.5s in 3-way comps are set up to 200hz. Man it'd be a lot easier if you fix that leak, I had the same problem in my car, the water was getting in from the side of the windshield, some silicone fixed the problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
well really i was lying about it being small kinda....its like a water gun drip...its quite a bit...of h20...that leaks....regardless of the leak the.. e brake...is in the way...plus i dont know whut components i was going to use...so i dont know how to fit it all in...

so put a 4" in the kick.....6" in the console(or 8) plus tweeter up top....

alright where can i get a good crossover for that...by the way i have an cda-7897 that can change to 3way mode....read it somwhere that front turns into high rear mid subs subs.....right? anyway....will a mid bass asctually give me good bass that i can feel...like my 15's not just hear....like the 15's r up front...

so whut compents can should i get i want a 8" mid just cuz i like stuff big...not neccesary if something out is better

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 633
well if going 8's and wanted to stay within one company, EF-8 in the centero console, HD-4 in the kick and DRT-26A tweets on the dash. I'd run the HD-4 and 1in tweet off a passive crossover and one amp and run the EF-8s off its own amp and use the amp's crossover abilities along with the HU to run it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
man alter firts i couldnt find those ef-8's ......but then i thought alter posted this lets check his site guesss what i found...LOL.....

but alone on those 2 subs is 200$

Subtotal: $614.96 for everything u joust told me....I know this would probably be the best sounding setup i could immagine.....but dont have that much money...

u musta missed the part that said cant afford 300$ speakers....Im only 17 with a good 10$/hour job but but only work like 16-20 hours a week....plus i bout rims...need tires...Gas is 3$ for 93 and i got other stuff to do.....so money is tight...hey could u give me an ECOUSTICS discount....
Upload

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 35
You are right with the speaker locations, but with that money you better get a DLS, Focal or similar 3-way comp. Use the crossover in ur HU, it is easily adjusted and yes, set up as 3-way Front turns into highs, Rear into mids and Subs into Subs or midbass depends on xover cutoff. That way you can control every speaker, xover and level, and using the amps you can also benefit from their xovers to make a bandpass for the mids, you'll need 2 amps, or 1 amp using a passive crossover for tweets and mids, just check the tweeters impedance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
any cheaper solutions

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 635
if you want try the Tang Band 8 or even the 6.5s. I could get you a discount if you were going to buy more than just the EF-8s like components and all.

I feel you on the gas, just paid 37$ for a full tank...killer. I can mix and match you a set but need to know what you think you can manage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
really i cant manage much since money is real tight.....prolly somethin small...like 200-300...cant do it no time soon cuz i gotta buy tires......thats like 500 there....want to get those rims on quick so dad can have his dragstars and i can have my 20's wohoo

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 638
200-300 for all the speakers? Well the Tang Band 6.5s would be around 100$ for a pair, and the CL-41 component set would be ABOUT 175$ shipped. That could work. but like I said you may want to figure out your install first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us