Anyone know how to build a Isobaric/Ported box?

Username: Burtonsnol3orde

Post Number: 2
I've got two 15" Memphis Power Bass subs I used to use in my car. Each had a 2.5 cuft sealed box. In my car the subs sounded very "dry" if they were heard straight through the trunk, but in the car they sounded alright. I wondered if anyone could help design a Isobaric/Ported design tuned to around 20Hz. I wanted to try Isobaric because the subs have a very high Vas and i want to keep the box size as small as possible.
Sub Specs are:
Fs: 25Hz
Vas: 10.2 cuft
Qts: 0.6
Xmax: .22"

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7358
um - u r going about it all wrong man , i never heard of anybody tuning a box 20hz ! - thats the lowest a human ear can hear man.

u usually tune a box just above the Fs they give u on the spec sheet . If u want more spl u could tune high as 35-40 hz even higher depending on the sub . If u want SQ u tune lower like 28-34hz roughly .

Isobaric boxes r VERY complicated 2 calculate & build , stick with basic pipe or slot ported if u have experience or have the space 4 slot ported ...

Post Number: 5
Well I want as much SQ as possible, I don't really care how loud it is. I used to just want LOUD but my music preference has changed. My concern is that the speakers sounded so "dry" and i thought if the sound was chambered and ported it would lessen that. Any other advice?

Post Number: 6
Here is a picture of what i was thinking

http://www.the12volt.com/images2/isobandpass.gif

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1067
isobaric is sorta waste of a sub.. you will barely gain any spl with a second, and if your looking for sq that is NOT the box to build.. also tuning 20 hz is a bit of a waste as well its usually not a good idea to tune below a drivers fs , tuning to around 28 would be just as well.. another thing the subwoofers your using have a high qts at 0.6, that means there more inclined to sealed enclosures. so moving to any sort of ported enclosure you will lose SQ

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7362
imo - those few iso boxes i heard have terrible SQ & a annoying boomy bass

with what u said above - u should then def go SEALED

really super easy 2 build a sealed box

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp ...

Post Number: 8
I understand... but they are in 2.5 cu ft sealed boxes right now and the sound is really "dry" i dont know how else to describe it... and i want to eliminate that... I also wanted a smaller box, which is what an isobaric build would do.
Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2359
ISO boxes need to be tuned high...

why are the subs sounding Dry? what amp is powering them? and are the xovers and gain set properly??

if you want SQ then u want SEALED like Rovin stated above...

I think u have alot to learn man, start here: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us