HELP! No sound from subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 52
Okay I just hooked up my subs and amp. I am getting no sound. The amp is getting power though. Setup: 2 SPL JWS ( same as JL W6 V1s) 12" DVC 6 Ohm 1 JL Audio 500/1 amp. Below are diagrams of the setup. First one is the outside of the box. The second is of the inside of the box. Any questions, just ask. Thanks.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 159
you running a 2 channel setup??? I would wire the subs in parallel and run it at mono

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7346
check ur gains/settings .....

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 162
yeah gain and bass that could be it. and make sure your RCA wires are properly connected that happened to me once

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1345
did you run a remote wire(hey it happens)

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 55
OK. Yes, all of the settings are turned completly all the way down. I ran a remote wire, the amp is getting power. And I thought that I ran them parallel/parallel. The amp is mono. I am running 2 subs though.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1184
wow, your amp is the size of your box hahaha

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1185
just check your voltage on your amp to ensure you are getting enough. I had that problem before. I was only getting enough voltage to turn the amp on, not to drive anything

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 56
How do I check the voltage?

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 57
Does it matter that the subs are wired to the inside of the box then from the terminals to the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1497
^ no that doesnt matter

its quite possible with the settings turned all the way down on everything it just looks like the subs are getting no power because they arent doing anything, making any noise or even feel like they are moving. I've seen it happen on more hten one occasion.

Check your RCAs are connected into the proper terminals, i've seen people plug there RCAs into the out jacks on there amp before.

Trouble shoot with a DMM or Probe light?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1186
another thing I forgot to mention. On my stereo, I couldn't get no sound either. I read through my owners manual for my hu after I checked my wiring and it turns out that I had to turn the AUX on for my hu would send a signal to the amp. Make sure your hu don't have this too. All I had to do was hold on the function button when the hu was off and go in and turn aux on. And also, with your gain turned right off, you might not get any sound. Try turning it up a bit and see if you hear anything.

To test the voltage, just get a dimm meter and tuch it on the black wire on your amp ground, and the red wire on the amp power. You should get around 12ish with your car off.

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 58
OK. Haven't checked the voltage. I did turn the gain and everything all the way up and still nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2478
if you have a subwoofer preout on your HU then you'll need to make sure your subwoofer is "on" look through your HU options and you will find something where you can turn your subwoofer preout on and off, if its off the amp still will turn on but it will not put out power.

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 60
Yeah, I do have the subwoofer preout and I have always had my subwoofer selection set all the way up. See, I have a toggle switch so that I don't have to worry about going all the way through my hu's menu to turn my subs on

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1915
without actually being there, it is hard to tell, but i would have not sold that amp to you if i thought there was something wrong, it was working when it came out of my truck.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1187
sounds like that toggle switch is giving you troubles. Just unhook it for now and connect it directly to your hu. I assume you have the toggle on your remote wire right? Just bypass the switch for now and hook it up directly. Then, use your hu controls to see if that works. Just forget about the toggle for the time being

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 62
Hey Ty I'm not blaming you, I don't think that it's the amp, I actually had it hooked up to 2 MTX Road Thunder before I got my subs and it worked fine. I'll try the toggle switch and get back to y'all.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1916
which side of amp is rcas ran into, left or right?

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 63
Right. Same side as the speaker connections. also, I checked the voltage, it's fine. Also, I hooked the remote directly and still nothing. And I noticed that even when the remote is not hooked to anything I still have a power light on on the amp. How is that? I also might switch out the RCAs.

Bronze Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 71
OK. Figured it out. It's in the wiring. I hooked them up normally and they work fine. Somehow I didn't do the parallel/paralell the right way. I will try to post some pics of the wiring.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us