Do i need Ho alt

Username: Ogduncan

Post Number: 7
I have a 2006 c6 do i need a high output alt to run 1200rms @ 2ohms with a zapco c2k 6.0 . Im not going to run anything else

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 700
you should

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1761
1200 watts rms is about 95 amps, with no consideration for amp class factors, so its actually a little higher.

so, yes.

Post Number: 10
i heard people where running 2000 rms in the c5 with stock alt.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1764
you can do that, until something burns up, sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
whats the worst that could happen? my alt burns up and i have to get a new one?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1771
alt, amps, subs, speakers. just depends on which will go first.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 630
Not maintaining the proper voltage will cause clipping, and this can destroy everything that Brandon just mentioned.

You have a bad a.ss car and a bad a.ss amp, get a high output alternator and a JL 12w7 and you will be the man.

Also, you may want to check out this article of a JL install done on a C5, they incorporated the 12w7 into the storage well in the trunk, and it was all stealth when they were done. Maybe you can get some ideas from this...
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/car-audio-installation-10-2003.html

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 631
There is a group buy list going on right now in the same Accessories section, offered by Nate from www.excessiveamperage.com which is regarded as the best ho alt for the price.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 807
I'm running right around 1200w rms on a 110A alt with no problems at all.

A lot of people fail to recognize that full power current draw on a test bench and real world current draw for music are not even remotely close to the same.

I'm not sure what size your stock alt is, but unless it's unusually small I see no reason to spend a couple hundred $ on an alt you might not need. Once it's installed - you can decide whether or not your listening habits are going to require a bigger alternator.

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 241
Is this true?^^^

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2582
it depends on the vehicle, and the current condition of your factory alternator... some people factory alternators are already dieing...

install 1st, then see if the lights dim extra.. then u will know u need a HO alternator!

me personally, the alternator is the most imporatnt part in a system!! :-)

power In = power Out

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 839
I'm not saying you WON'T need a bigger alt. I just don't think you should get one until you see what you've got.

Amps are rated for rms power output using test tones - an amp that produces 1000w at 14v playing a 60hz tone is only going to produce 200-400 playing music - it will draw more due to efficiency, but not a whole lot.

Fact is there are people running ~1500w with 80A alts and no problems at all. Come to think of it, one of the mods at sounddomain has a saturn with a 95A alt and has been running 1900w for years.

Again - the car, the installation, and your listening habits are big factors, but I wouldn't spend the money until there's a reason to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us