BEST HU under 150

Bronze Member
Username: Tippindown

Post Number: 51
well i told myself i wasnt going to spend over 200 on my HU but then i had to drop 50 bucks on the mount so i cut it down to 150 lol what would be the best way to go for abut 150???

Bronze Member
Username: Nztunez

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 40
How about something from the Kenwood Excelon line...maybe an X689/X789/X790...which go for about $175-190 on Ebay. A nice HU for the money IMO. Some people avoid the Kenwoods as they have a less reliable reputation than say Eclipse, Pioneer or Alpine but the Excelons are Kenwood's better line and in terms of bang-for-buck... they aren't easy to beat.

From my point of view...if you buy a decent HU for ~$150-200 and get ~2 years out of it and it craps out...that's still not bad. Now if I spent $500+ on a high end HU and it crapped out that fast I'd be much more aggravated.

Bronze Member
Username: Nztunez

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 41
The Kenwood X589/X590 is another option...a few bucks cheaper than those above. These are still a bit above the $150 threshold but if it were me I think I'd save up just a bit extra and get one of those.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
well i have plenty money saved its just i need it for other things

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1763
Pioneer DEH-P480MP is pretty nice for the money, and only about $150 shipped on ebay.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2879
I'm growing tired of the "Best head unit for [ex amount of money]" topics...some specifics would be nice...especially concerning features in a unit as build quality is about the same between Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse etc...additionally, details about where one is willing to buy from would be great. Ebay is always an excellent option in considering a head unit-even if it is used.

Username: Paogr

AthensGreece

Post Number: 10
I agree with Brandom^^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1784
i agree with Jexx. people need to look more into things on their own before they start posting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Jexx- well there isnt any features that are needed thats why i didnt post any if i needed an mp3 player i would have said "MP3 player" but i just wondered the best HU for 150
Brandon- thanks and i did look but there are so many different kinds and the model #'s are soooo confusing thanks and ill try to look more next time

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 47
The quality and features on decks in that price range are going to be pretty similar, so for the most part, I'd look into anything from Pioneer, Alpine, or Eclipse depending on any past experiance or preference and then keep your purchasing options open. You can find some great prices on brand new equipment on ebay and prices from other online retailers varry. Here's a comparison link from Crutchfield. All these decks list on that site for over $150 but can be found much cheaper on ebay and such:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aop2oC28yAo/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=0 1&pt2=0&compareitems=500CDE9845&compareitems=099CD1000&compareitems=130DEHP480&c ompareitems=500CDE9852&compareitems=500CDA9856&compareitems=099CD2000&compareite ms=130DEHP580&compareitems=500CDA9851&compareitems=099CD3000&x=13&y=1

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 886
If you are budget minded may I add other things that may affect your buying power;

I just recently upgraded my factory HU. It is nothing spectacular, but it is better than factory.

I chose crutchfield because of the free wiring harness ($20 value) free dash kit ($20 value), free shipping ($30 value), and warranty (priceless).

When you add these things up to other on-line stores you end up saving when you go with Crutchfield. If they have the brand and model you are looking for, they are hard to beat.

Some of the things I look for when purchasing a budget HU are:

Ballance and fader
Sepereate bass and trebble controlls (EQ and x-over features usually come with higher end units)
RCA jacks, maybe even a subwoofer RCA
CD player specs signal to noise ratio, frequency response
Radio specs, sensitivity
RMS power
THD
Clock
Illumination
Large display, and/or buttons
Pre-amp Voltage (a budget HU aint gonna be much)
Text
Ipod, satelite ready, etc...

LAST BUT NOT LEAST "FUNCTIONABILITY"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us