MP3 player into a Car Stereo?

Username: Lottathought

Post Number: 1
I have been searching for hours trying to get an answer to my question with no luck.

I have an MP3 player. (Not an Ipod)
I want to be able to plug my player into the car stereo.
Currently, I have a Sony CDX-M610.
I have tried simply plugging it into the aux input in the back of the reciever. I have a cord that plugs into the audio out of the player on one side and the rca plugs on the other side.
The unit would not change over to the aux input though.

I tried this same setup with a different Sony car receiver about a year ago and had the same issue. Then, I considered the possibility that the radio was broken.
Since I am having the same issues again, I am thinking that there is something wrong with my setup.

Everything that I know about stereos tells me that I should be able to do this.
I know that I can do this in a home receiver.

Why can I not simply plug my MP3 player into the rca aux input in the back of the receiver via the phono-to-rca cable?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2865
On the M610 it works in tandem with the proprietary CD changer input for the CD changer (The RCA says BUS AUDIO IN, doesn't it?). The first Sony model in that series that actually accepts an aux in the way you've mentioned is the CDX-M630.

Username: Lottathought

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much Jexx.
Now for a followup question.
Does the feature that I am looking for have a special name?
This will probably make me want to change out the head unit and I will need to know what the feature is called if I am looking for a new unit.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2874
Most newer head units have the aux-in as a standard feature (plug and play), though some (such as Pioneer and Alpine) require an external adaptor to make it possible. As far as any special name goes, there isn't one that I'm aware of. If you need help determining if a head unit has it, let us know and we'll help. ;)

Username: Pipay

Post Number: 1
Hello!

I'm also having a similar problem. My car stereo is a Panasonic RDP212N (quite old i think, and it came with my car when i bought it). I'm also using a aux to phono lead.

Was under the impression that when the MP3 player is plugged in and there's no CD in the player, then it just over-rides the CD player so the MP3 player plays.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us