Choices for 8" subs

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 288
Due to space considerations I am looking to get two 8 inch subs. I know the choices are far more limited than 10 inch or bigger, however I have found a couple that seem to fit the bill for me, and also I do not want a power hungry sub, I am looking for something in the 200-400 watt rms range.

Two so far are the Crystal 8CMP and of course the JL 8w7. I have seen some out there from MA audio, Rockford, Arc, and others but I have no idea about the quality or sound on these.

Anyone have any ideas? I am leaning towards the JL but of course they are SO expensive but if they are worth it I will just get them one at a time as I can afford it.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 703
hey, if you are looking for bass, just get a 10". it would be much better.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1327
i heard the new soundslinter 8" woofer is awesome for an 8 maybe you should check that out

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 705
lol u mean soundsplinter. Well, i have never heard a loud 8", but ive never really wanted to. i would say if you liked the ss, then go with them.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1329
ya i meant soundsplinter just a typo lol

and im not buying them im giving advice it sounded like you were talking to me on that one

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 706
Oh i see. What sub would you compare them to? like a cvr 10"?

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 707
lol i thought charlie started this thread.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1332
no way i would never be buying a 8" i have 10's right now and will be going with 12's next lol there just to weak for me

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 289
I will check out this Soundsplinter thanks for the advice however again, I would love to get a 10 or two tens but where I want to put them I don't think I have room. You really think one or two w7 would be weak bass?

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 708
Well, you cant really explain certain subs. some ppl might say it is loud, becaus they compare it to subs they have had that might not be that loud. then you could ask a guy who has a 170db spl van, he would probobly compare the sub in spl to subs he owns. He might say it sucks. You just have to hear subs for your self.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 290
I understand what you are saying but still, would 2 8 inch w7 sound weak compared to 1 10 inch w7? The things will be right behind the driver and pass seats in my Blazer that is why I have these size restricitons.........

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice so far and don't want to make a mistake as even the 8 inch w7 are VERY pricy.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 710
Well, the 8's off ebay are about $250+shipping a peice. The 10" is $360+ shipping. So there is about a $140 price difference. I have never heard a 8" jl, but i would think the 10" would be a much better choice.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 711
Are you looking for spl or sq or sql?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 291
I checked out the Soundsplinter site (never heard of them before) I would consider one or two of their 8 or even 10 inch if I could find the room for them.

How do they compare in quality and SQ comared to JL W7 series?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 293
I am looking for both BUT SQ is more important to me. The splinters look really nice but then again I don't know anything about them. I figured I was safe going with the JL but if I am listing alternatives that brings me back to my main question....JL w7 vs the Splinters vs Crystal etc.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 712
well, i think the 10" rl-i owuld be awsome. Im guessing your wanting sq, so i would go for the ss. it would save a lot of money.

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 867
Crystal.....:-)

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 294
OK Ne$ter, why Crystal please explain I want to make an educated choice here.........

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
Crystals subs are the best SQ subs i have ever heard and from what everyone else says,it has serious serious SQ and is a great sub....i have only heard good things about them...

ALSO...their Comp x versions are comparable with JL/DD/RE xxx and so forth so i'd say they're the best subs period....:-)

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 295
COOL, thanks Ne$ter I will check into those a little more they are a bit cheaper than the JL thanks again.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 869
No prob...:-)

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1334
i would say that jl w7's are good subs but ive never actualy heard the 8" version of them

but ya i think it all comes down to you just kind of picking one of them cause they will all sound very nice i mean the ones mentioned. I would just go for the cheapest one out of them

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 127
look into the AA assassin they have an 8" for like 55 and are supposed to be great in sq my 12 is coming wednesday so i can let you know how that goes if you want

asendentaudio.com

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 296
Mat, yeah let me know I still have some time before I can order anything. That link did not work for me, did you get them there or somewhere else?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us