Post Number: 121
To start I will tell you what i have...

00 Acura Integra SE (B18B) same as GS
9835 Alpine HU
500/1 JL ---> 10W7HO
1.2 farad stigner cap
stock batery
stock 90 amp alternator

Second, I replaced my back up radio fuse from a 7.5A to a 10A (I kept blowing it)

Third is my problem...

At volume 20/35, my lights dimmm pretty bad.
At volume 25/35, with a hard bass hit, my HU turns off(un-tilts) for 2 seconds and turns back on at -- volume.

Had my Car at idle playing music at 20 volume for 15 mins and then the HU started turning on and off.

I am thinking it might be low amperage comming out of the alternator.

I have told this story/problem to many many people in town and I have recieved multiple replies...

- new alternator (old one is not putting out 90A)
- H.O. alternator
- Put a capasitator close to the battery
- A 12v wire is beeing grounded
- New battery because the old one is finished
- New dry cell deep cycle battery

I am thinking of giving the local Alternator/Battery guy 15$ to see how many amps my alternator is putting out or get a friend to conect his car battery to my battery and see what happens(would tell me if its my car not producing enough power.)

I need help! Where do I start? What would you do?

(btw... If I have to get a new alternator, how many amps would I need to run a 300/4 and a 500/1 for future project)?

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 768
i would get at least a 200 amp. this would give you some room for some upgrades etc. the cap. isnt helping at all, its putting more strain on the alternator which is why your system keeps dyin on ya. a good idea to start off with would be to get a HO alternator from nate, and if u want a deep cycle battery it wouldnt hurt.

how old is your battery and have you checked what its putting out? because it all around sounds like your alt isnt getting the suffiecient current it needs to run your system.

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1038
definately your alternator.. alot of the imports are really tight with there alternators to meet the demands of the car so sometimes even a small amp with overwhelm it.. with a jl 500/1 and 300/4 u would probably be safe with around a 160 amp... could go to 200 too incase u think u might run more power.. you dont want a deep cycle battery under the hood, there not meant for a started battery and the peak current draws when starting the car up will decrease its life, but might be a good idea to get a red top or something if your battery is shot, a capacitor will not make everything better electrically , itl help smooth out the voltage your amps recieve
www.excessiveamperage.com email tell him what your running and he can recommend u an alt

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1039
b@stard^ quicker on the draw i guess lol

Silver Member
Username: Bakerj72

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 122
Im only running 500wrms I shouldnt have to be buying a new alt or battery... Is it possible that wiring could be mangled somewhere...?

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 769
lol mark. i was just a lil quicker.

and justin, a yellow top battery would be great for some extra power to store if you have any room. usually when i did my whole electrical system i got a new battery, alternator, big 3 upgrade, and then i could get a yellow top.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 770
i thought you said you have a 300/4 also????

its possible that the wiring or sumthin could be damaged, but the way you explained your problem to us, it def. sounds like a alt prob. and like i said, that cap. isnt helping

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1043
why not? i was runnign the same amp with my 88 mustang and my lights were dimming prety bad.. and they have more powerful alternators.. like i said some cars will have tight tolerances for electrical supply. u could try to upgrade the wires and see if it helps pass more current i.e. 4 gu from alt. to battery, from batt negative to chassis. from chassis to engine. but i doubt that will fix it, it sounds like your straining the system bigtime.. keep in mind u WILL take out your alternator and battery if u keep straining it.. i was driving one day playin some music,, puff of smoke comes outa the hood ,, i get home car doesnt start later and both the alt and battery are wrecked, so keep that in mind

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 772
good point. like mark said its all with the car because my friends 80 amp alternator in his jeep with a 800 watts amp doesnt make his lights or anything dim at all, but it def wouldnt hurt your WHOLE CAR to get a new HO

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
I now think my alternator is putting out 30 amps or something supidly low. Worth getiing it respun?

Today I plan on having my alternator tested... and I live in Canada so im guessing I should just stick with a red top.

And... the 300/4 and XR's project is meant for a year from now because I have 4200$ debt and im in high school working a 9$/hour job and im involved with sports... no time no money!

For now I just wanna "Mabe" get an alternator to power the 500/1 or just stick with the one I have now and let my ego chill out in volume 20.

so... get a red top and a new alternator or respun alternator?

Oh and when I get my alternator is it worth it to run 4AWG from the alternator to the battery?

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Ok, It's good friday and everything is closed... Sweet. And no, I'm not bringing my car to future shop or Bestbuy, they know nothing. Just called My other local shop and he told me it was an HU problem or my Ohm age was wrong... It's a single voice coil for gods sake. Any ways, it turns out my brother bought a new battery and I hooked it up to the one in my car and I hit full volume! So now at lest I kow its my car's power sysytem.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5929
Most shops don't test alternators correctly to begin with, but I'll bet that's your problem. Honda/Acura isn't generous in the form of alternator reserve.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us