Jl w713.5 is it better porrted or sealed?

Bronze Member
Username: Anacard

Dimond Bar, CA United States

Post Number: 11
just like to hear what people think... the pros and cons...oh would it handle power better in a portted box?

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 233
i'd go ported. never had the w7 but i do have a pair of type r's and w3's, both started with sealed. then put both in ported boxes and you can definately hear the difference. you will sacrifice some sq, but it's worth it and not really that noticeable. and from what i've been told/read when you go ported they don't handle as much power, but don't know if that is true or not.

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1030
they will handle more power in a ported box at the tuned frequency but less power everywhere else on the range.. box size will play a role in how much power it can handle as well

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5580
that sub ported gets very loud. I am a big fan of the JL HO box myself. Do you have the sub already? if not look inot buying it already loaded from JL there enclosures are very very nice. What amp are you running to it by the way?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
the old black ppi.. the black art one's it 1200 watts

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5583
the a1200.2? that is an amazing amp. How are you running that sub off of that amp? that amp is only stable mono 4-8ohms.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5584
bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
not to shure any more i had some problems with it it would make the origional amp over heat and shut down ...so i sent the amp in they say it was fine ,,,hooked it back up and did not happen for a wile ...then it started again....so i took the sub off and put the old 15s and they jamed for ever.....but i have two cars two systems...so i am bored one day and start out one day messing with it see if i could get it to play and i did ....but you see.. i dont use the car that much and ond day i did and same thing happend ........AND TRUST ME ..its not the ground or the wiring....please of the sake of god lets leave that out....and if you could come up with any thing i love to hear oh the first amp was jl 1000/1

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5585
well the reason why it is overheating is because you were prob driving it at low impedence's(ohms). That amp is 2ohm stereo stable and 4 ohm mono stable. If you try to run it at 1ohm mono it will heat up really really quick and risk damaging it like it sounds like you already have. Thats a shame it is a nice amp. Let me know if you want to get rid of it. The jl 1000/1 will work very very well for you, the maker of the jl "slash" series amps is the same guy who designed the ppi (art) series amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i know that what your saying is true but why with the jl dose it do that no one can tell me?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5587
ok ok I am kinda lost. you have a jl 1000/1 and a ppi a1200.2? they both overheat?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ya thats my piont and every shop owner and person i have talked to cant firure it out???? maybe its cursed????any one knowa witch doctor?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5589
sounds like you are running them below their abilities. what is your set-up and how is it wired.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
see i thought that also but i have the jl running two 15 that need 800 at least and i am running them to the ground and i have a ppi 600 watt amp for my higs and the jl 1000/1 for the subs but soon as i hook up the jl 13 in a sealed box it go in to protection and if i put it at 3 ohms you can bearrly get it to move at all or bump what ever... so now the sub sit in the other car with the ppi amp?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5595
weird. well if you want to sell either one I have a friend who fixes damaged electronics so I might be interested. let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
my dad want to get his hands on it so he can try to fix it and its so damm hevey!!!! i dont want to sell it becouse of what it is and i kn ow it a quality sub so how can you sell it? think it could be the box? could having the wrong sized box do any thing like this?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5597
not overheat your amp no. The only thing that would make it play fine with one set of subs then overheat with another is being driven to low.

Alright well if you find its the amps let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thanks lango i know you are wise in car audio thanks for shooting the s with me ..

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5600
no problem man! I am far from wise man, I know a small small fraction of what there is to know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
you know i ...its been like a little project for me when i have free time... i should drive and go see glass wolf...haha

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5607
now he is knowledgable! Glass and Jonathan are both pretty car audio savy guys. they know their stuff!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us