Too much remote wire

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3569
i have 3 remote wires from 3 amps connected to my HU. i am getting a crossover and that also has a remote wire. so thats total of 4 remote wires that needs to be connected to the HU. is that okay or is there something i should get?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2279
it will be ok

too many amplifiers like 16... will decrease the current flow on the remote wire, which can inturn burn up the HU...

if u did have 16 remote wires or something extreme, then you can wire up a relay to control the remote wires.. :-)

look @ that turn around answer...

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3571
B dom shipped my alt on monday. he gave me the tracking number and now the alt is going to be here tomorow.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5464
Most HUs will only put out 200ma of current for remote wires. If you inspect your amps carefully, it should list the power required to trigger it. It might be around 60ma - 80ma. As long as it's less than 200ma in total, you'll be fine. However, I personally wouldn't attach more than 2 amps to HU.
Be safe and get a 12v relay from Radio Shack for $6.
Do you know what'll happen if you drew more than 200ma from the HU? You'll blow it. After that, you will have to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed/replaced.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3573
can you give me a link to see what it is suppose to look like. i googled it and there are many diifferent types.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5466
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-VOLT-30-40-AMP-RELAY-10-PACK-AUTO-CAR-TRUCK-40ARB_W0QQite mZ9705622207QQcategoryZ71537QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Copy and past that on ebay or search this ebay number, 9705622207.
Any car audio shop should have one, so no need to pay shipping from eBay.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3575
thanks isaac. one more question. can i use two of those coming off one remote wire from the HU? since i only see 4 total connectors and i need 5.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5469
No, you install one 12v relay in the car and use that to trigger ALL devices. Unlike HU (200ma max), the relay can use/send up to 30A to turn on or off amps/accessories.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 796
The only trigger current tests I've seen are on bcae1.com. Like most things, they vary pretty widely, from 1.5mA to around 40mA.

I've never seen a definitive test on remote output, but the most common range I've seen suggested is 200-500mA.

The rule of thumb is anytime you have more than 2 components being turned on a relay is the way to go. They're not expensive or difficult to install and just provide another level of protection.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2297
there u go bud..
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
by the way, relays at radio shack for under 3$

Bronze Member
Username: Silentsnow

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 11
To make it easier, you could just daisy chain the remote wires between the amps if they're close to each other and then just run the one remote to the HU. That's what I've always done and never had any problems.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2301
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I take it u have no former knowledge of a voltage divider or a current divider network... :-(

the current load at the head unit will still be low... :-)

low current is always bad, and frys things... :-)

I hope u dont use your method for more than 3-4 loads...

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 801
"To make it easier, you could just daisy chain the remote wires between the amps if they're close to each other and then just run the one remote to the HU. That's what I've always done and never had any problems."

That's fine with a couple amps - debatable with 3 - 3 amps and a crossover - you're just rolling the dice. Why risk the remote turn on circuit of the HU when you can take a half hour and do it the right way by installing a 3 or 4 $ relay??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us