Is it profatable to make n sell boxs???

Bronze Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 56
lookin for a way to make some money so i can get a lil bit of sounds... makin a few trips to home depot and spendin a lil time puting wood together do u guys think it would be profatable, but if not... how muc cheaper is it aproximatly to make your own boxes then buying it.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 738
I would for shure build my own box but you have to know what you are doing And make it All look Better than nice .no one will want a Newb built box you have to have a few under your belt IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 863
its cheaper to make your own box yes. will you make alot of money selling them...no.

Bronze Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 57
well sure if i did start making them then i prolly wouldnt sell one until i made prolly 3-5 ... i learn stuff very quickly... like if i could watch someone make a box one time i would be able to do it for sure no problem. One thing i always wondered is where is the carpet sold

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7253
my advice

look @ Norm ABrahm on his show "NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP" on PBS - if u absorb well like u say u do , watching just 1 of his episodes will do u a TON of good with ur carpentry .......

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 181
thats what iam tryin 2 do an i have built like 4 b0xes for friends but then i went out to the local car audio shop an this dude just got his done an he had 2 diamond 12s an diamond amp in a slot box then he heard y friends in my box an he was like d@mn then he got my # then i hit him up later that night an i ask hi what he was whiling 2 pay an he said $250 calld hi the next day 2 give hi directions an he never calld bac then had 2 more ppl that want the an havnt heard of them then went 2 giant egales yesterday with my friend an my box an su dude outside put his head in an was like i think my head exploded an want my # 2 do his when he gets a car so i havnt build a b0x for any1 yet got all the stuff plus orderd 2 6x9 sheets of carpet

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 687
I really want to sell boxes, but i am still learning and still practicing. I want the best quality i can get before i start to sell them. You can't just buy some wood, and some carpet and think you are going to build awsome boxes. Oh and btw there is more materials than carpet, like vinal and sticky wood to cover a box.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 594
well first off the way some you guys type on here if thats an indicatio of anything i don't think i'd take you seriously. You need to be professional on anything you do where you are trying to make a profit off someone. As for building boxes and making money, to the small number of units you will do, no it won't be profitable. You really need to buy a huge bulk of wood preferably from the manu and not HD or Lowes to get a good deal and makea large quantity of boxes. Also you actually need to know what you're doing. If you've never covered a box or even built some you are behind the 8 ball already. Covering a box well is not as easy as it seems. Yes you can use carpet, vinyl, paint, leather, almost any material can be used to cover a box just if you have the ability to cover the box with it. Theres alot more you need to consider than just "building" boxes.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 689
Yeah i didn't understand a word S.P.D was saying.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 182
the m key wasnt really workin an i just woke up lol i was typin while i was layin down

Username: Hockeyman123

Columbia, Tennessee Usa

Post Number: 1
i have 2 duel 10's going in a chevy cavilear. Is there anyway to hook it up to a stock radio. I also have 4 jl audio w'7's going in a 2006 chevy tahoe what would be the best amp for them.

Username: Hockeyman123

Columbia, Tennessee Usa

Post Number: 2
If your just starting to make boxes i wouldnt sell.For the fact your humon and will mess up. Where i live i make 10 sub boxes a day around 8 in the morning and there gone by 2 that afternoon

Bronze Member
Username: Swisher

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 23
"Where i live i make 10 sub boxes a day around 8 in the morning and there gone by 2 that afternoon"

i would like to see that one day... i would drive to tenessee to see it actually

Bronze Member
Username: Genocyde21

Post Number: 17
I smell some bs here :P

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 691
lol We need to shovel the bs out.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2709
I sell boxes locally on a regular basis. My prices are pretty much dirt-cheap. Some of the boxes i have built lately:

1 L7 10" ported (behind truck seat)---$75
2 kicker comp 15's ported---$80
2 L5 15's ported (whole ext cab part of a ranger w/ 2 interchangable ports)---$160
1 12" 2.25cuft tuned to 35hz---$85 (w/ amp install)
2 L7 12's ported---$85
2 kicker comp 8's under a back seat---$80

i didnt carpet any of those boxes though...i usually just build them to have alil $ to go to a comp...lol. I can knock out most normal rectangular boxes in about 2 hours.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2710
BTW...i use a skil-saw and a home-made gate on all my boxes :-)

they turn out really nice too...no gaps, no over hangs.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 671
whats a home-made gate? also i have a skill saw and it is hard to make really strait cuts with it. how do you make your cuts strait as possible marshall? any tips?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 740
"how do you make your cuts strait as possible"

Buy a table saw it will cut straiter lines than you can draw with a square.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 676
i already have a table saw but it has a very small table top so i pretty much cant use it. but he said that he used a skill saw so i wanted to know how he does it because i have one of those too.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2455
i use a skill saw too. i used a cutting edge and clamps to make PERFECTLY straight lines. works great

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1029
i use a jig saw for everything, im like surgical with the thing now, can make dead strait cuts.. i would use a skill saw but it takes to much time setting up a guide for every cut

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 681
but with a jig saw, well at least for me it takes too long to actually cut it because with that tiny blade to go across a 4 foot length of MDF it takes me like 4 minutes. i did that straight edge idea with the jig saw and it worked pretty well but with a skill saw it would be way faster and easy i would think. ill try that on my next box thanks trevor
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us