Orion HCCA 225

Silver Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 198
Hey Guys,

It's been a long time since I posted. Anyways, a long time ago Isaac convinced me to get an Orion HCCA-225 amp, and I have it powering a pair of RE-XXX 6.5" mids. I thought the resistance of the speakers was supposed to be about 0.6 ohms the way they were hooked up (mono), but the installer said it was quite a bit higher. The mids don't sound nearly as great on the HCCA as I originally thought they would.

Anyways, I am considering shifting things around in my stereo setup. Currently, I have the following:

- Alpine CDA-9835
- Focal Utopia 165W components in front
- PPI Ax400 (Art Series) powering the Focals
- RE-XXX 6.5s in the rear
- Orion HCCA-225 powering the Orions
- No sub at the moment

I am considering buying a couple of Image Dynamics ID8 subs and wiring them up to 0.5 ohms and putting them on the HCCA. I would then have to get another amplifier for the RE-XXX mids (liekly another PPI Art). Would this setup work? Would three amps be too much draw on my 1999 VW Passat's battery?

Thanks guys!
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5462
Bryan, the HCCA 225 is .5ohm stable in "stereo" mode, not bridged (1 ohm stable).
For powering mid bass, you don't need high quality amp. Just about any will do.
If your lights don't dim, you'll be fine as is.

Silver Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 199
Hmmmm . . . . now I can't remember how it is hooked up. I do know that it is all running off of the right channel, so I guess I am in mono? Maybe this would explain why the amp overheats?

Anyways, I think it will be between to get this amp on a pair of subs. I think the ID8s would work OK.

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5463
You might want to check the wiring configuration. Why only use one channel? You're wasting half the power then.
Just make sure the amp is bridged and operating at 1 ohm minimum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us