Speaker Savers for a bose amplified system???

Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 1
Ok, so I have a 96 Maxima SE - comes with a nice bose system. I have a subwoofer/amp, both at about 250 RMS - not installed. I had this sub from my old car. I wanted to install it into my nissan, but the good ol boys at circuit city told me that since this is a Bose System (which is an amplified system), putting in a sub and amp would possibly blow the sub and every speaker in the car.
The reason for this - they said - is that I would require a Hi/Low converter (which has a mini amp in it?). So, essentially I would be running an amp (from the Bose) into an amp (the Hi/low) into an amp (the sub) or vice versa.

According to them this would cause a POP when I started the car and possibly damage/blow everything.

I've heard of such things as "speaker savers" and "bass blockers." I would love to install my sub, but not if I'm gonna blow everything. Would speaker savers/bass blockers prevent certain destruction?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1888
no, those wont work, but you should not have a problem hooking up that amp.

Post Number: 3
Why do you say it shouldn't be a problem hooking up my amp? Were the guys at circuit City just clueless? Whats the deal? It sucks because I didn't think it was a problem, but now they got me paranoid that I'll kill $700 in speakers and $500 in subs/amps

Post Number: 4
Also, I think the guy who told me the Hi/Low converter is a small amp is an idiot - as far as I know its just a CONVERTER that converts from RCA. Also, as far as I know, the sub amp is only to power the Sub - so I don't see how my speakers are at extra risk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us