Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 114
To start I will tell you what i have...

00 Acura Integra
9835 Alpine HU
500/1 JL
1.2 farad stigner cap
stock batery

second i replaced my back up radio fuse from a 7.5 A to a 10 A (I kept blowing it)

third is my problem...

At volume 20/35, my lights dimmm pretty bad.
At volume 25/35, with a hard bass hit, my HU turns off for 2 seconds and turns back on at -- volume.

I'm thinking my stock batery is not putting out enough power or it might be something huge like an alt. problem.

Any suggestions? and Im 99.99% shure my wiring is perfect.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4767
The problem your having is that your alternator and battery arent able to keep up with the demands your car audio system is putting on it. Upgrade your stock alternator with a high output version and you should be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 12
how big is your alt by the way?

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 380
try a cap first as close to the amps and maybe ur remote wire of the headunit uu put it into a 12 volt or a ground

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 381
or a 12 volt wire is touching the ground wire when ur car move or is touching the chasis of ur head unit

Silver Member
Username: Bakerj72

Post Number: 115
I think Sean is right. I have a stock 90 amp alt.. In the future I plan on having a 300/2 and a set of xr's and now I'm wondering if a 150 amp alt. will do the trick?

On the other hand, my friend has a used (3 months mabe) 150$ motomaster battery. He wants 50$ for it. Would having two batteries fix my problem a bit? where is a good place to buy an alt?

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 114
Justin get ready to change your ALTERNATOR. do not buy another battery ...it will only make it worse because with 2 batteries your stock alternator will have to work extremely hard . you only need second or third.. battery only if you want to play music while your car is shut off and that's it.
SO in your case a high output alternator is a must.
I'm pretty sure 150 amp alt will do the trick but if i were you i will get 200 + alt because upgrading audio system is very addictive.. lol..
Some good places to buy alts is from excessive amperage @ www.excessiveamperage.com (i think that's how it's spelled) or IRAGGI which you can find on ebay. the sellers name is something..jamz (i forgot)

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Is it possible to have my stock alternator respun with thicker better wire and get 150 amps out of it or is this nonsense? if its posible, if it worth it money wise?
if i am buying off ebay... should i just be looking for amps or are there any other factors when it comes to buying an alternator?

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
i was just out playing basketball( for like 20 mins) had my car at 20 volume at idle(car was on) and the head unit stated going on and off... so i must be the alt

Bronze Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 53
I don't think a bigger alt is a must, I think throwing a 1.0 farad cap in line under the hood would help you dramatically. I've put them in on alot of installs ( under the hood AND near the amp ) and it's done alot, not as much as a HO alt, but enough.

Remember, with a HO alt your car will idle higher and use more gas ( in most cases ) and with the price of gas, which the us steals anyway so it should be FREE, you dont want to waste more than you have to.

If you do go with a HO alt, DONT BUY FROM EBAY, you get no warranty regardless of what they claim. Buy from a known company with a good rep. in your area where you can exchange the alt if need be without having to ship it to the company and wait a couple weeks for a replacement, if they even give you that option.

Try the cap first, replace your alt with a standard 90 amp alt and if it doesnt work out for you, which it should, return the alt and get a bigger one and keep using the cap under the hood and in the trunk.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us