OT-i have a HO ALT and my lights still dim...

Silver Member
Username: Terps297

Potomac, MD USA

Post Number: 176
200amp alt and i'm only using 1000watts rms... i've got 0ga big 3 and power/ground...what is going on?

at idle my lights dim a good amount, but when i start to get going they only dim a very little. on the highway i'm fine

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5547
when looking for a HO alt the biggest # to look at is amps at idle. your 200 amp alt might pout out 200 amps at 3000 rpm's but 70 amps at idle.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1528
That's what I like to call an ouch.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 656
i have a 160 amp alt and i still dim, but i get all 160 amps at about 1300 RPM, still dims there too, but its not that bad

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 367
if u have a ho try a yellow to batterie if not a cap but installed as close as posible to the amp

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 368
i know cap are not good but i have 600 amp battery and stock alt and 3 amps each is 450 watts rms plus head unit and video equipment and i have a 3.2 farad cap and my lights dim only at full volume

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 727
When you have enough available power a cap can be a good thing! An alt regulator isn't all that fast to pickup durring a bass run so dimming will occur. A cap can smooth this out. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4768
Once again I learn from Polo...Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 570
Yellow tops are not always the best choice, they are Deep cycle and should be used when there is not enough of a charging system, so the battery is under charged while running and since you have an HO alt, you are bettery charging the battery.

The biggest yellow top is 750cca and 870ca, and those batteries have a LIMITED warranty I went and asked and if your alt is not the right type or you have it hooked up weird or somthing..poof no warranty. (and only a 1 year at that)

Now you can get a battery that gives 900cca and 1200ca, for like $150 and has a 5 year unconditional warranty....I know which battery I am going to buy (soon too!)

http://www.batterydirect.com/products/specs_p.cfm

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 379
yeah vu t hey sell only in canada.

dude i suggest a cap cuz i have 3 800 watts rms but their overated so it will be 2 600 rms and 1 750 rms amps plus video equipment and i have my stock alt and my original ford battery ,

when i first install my cap i put it 20inches from the amps andd my lights dimmed as h3ll so i was going to buy a alt or a battery but i installed the cap like two to tre inches and now the problem is gone i think is because of the resistance

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 575
Im sure you could fond some huge cca cranking batteries in the US.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5551
mine is 875 cca its a interstate megatron:-) I highly reccomend them.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3478
Yeah, i think im going to end up getting a Interstate Megatron aswell. I use to have a Interstate in my old ride and it was a nice one.

Bronze Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 54
I had a problem on my Seville, and it has around a 150+ amp alt. I used the Red Top starting battery from Optima(975CCA) and put it in the trunk inline from my reg. battery and it helped alot. Get it from AutoZone and they have a 3yr. full coverage warranty on all their batteries for free.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us