Question for Glasswolf - Everstart VS Optima..

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2249
wsup GW, or anyone with ample knowledge about batteries.... NO newbies please..

Okay, I picked up this 65$ walmart special :-)
I wanted a yellowtop or better, but after looking at the specs of this battery, I got it... It was their biggest deepcycle battery... I also read some marine forums and it seems to be a killer batt for the price... some lasted up to 5years..

Everstart Marine Maxx
205min reserve capacity / 875 marine cranking / 125 AH...

I noticed the Optima biggest battery is only 55AH...

I take it the Everstart is the better battery...
hmmm, Its already installed and car fires up nice and easy... just awaiting to get my alternator back to get back loud..

Anyone can shine the morning light on this topic?? Which is better battery, and how good is this one??

Im almost certain, this will be my battery under the hood for a long time... Im trying to avoid starter batteries period as a whole... This deepcycle was huge, I had to make it fit!!

I however at a later date want to add some more expensive deepcycles to the trunk area..

Whats the VERdict on the Everstart Marine Maxx??

The black stuff around the terminal is electrical tape, that battery is long and tall... I made it fit.. Its all good now :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Please excuse the brightass sunlight from the left of the camera :-) Just took pics...
Also please excuse my 105 amp AC-DELCO... Nathan should be sending me a new 300a HO on Mon or TUE :-)

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 209
My uncle has one and its been 2 years since he had it..... TO ME IT IS A VERY VERY USEFUL BATTERY!!!

BETTER THAN YELLOW TOP!!

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3463
No need to use a deepcycle under the hood if you dont listen with the car off. ALso if you have a HO alternator coming in then you should just keep your deepcycles in the back of the car and somthing like a heavy duty starter or optima redtop in the front as a starter. If it works for you then thats fine since you got a good deal on that battery.

Read this

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 862
B, just curious, is it a gel cell/dry cell? That's one of the big advantages optima's have.. you know, so you can roll your car and still be bumpin. ;-D

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2251
sup fellas..

hey MO i wanted only deep cycle batts... I only listen with the car on, but I know exactly how a starter battery will do at the traffic light!! :-) It will make my voltage drop slowly.. << that is what i hate the most...
Mo I had my 2500d kill a starter battery (1of2) and my HO alternator... Thats what u call current drain... a 2500d @ .5ohms will draw over 260 amps DC current... I am however back to 1ohm with 2 amps! :-) Those 2 together @ 1ohm should still draw significantly less than 1 amp @ .5ohms... :-)

I just wanted to compare the Everstarts with the Yellowtops or other Car Audio Deepcyles...

Seth, Its a wet batt, distilled... I really like the Optima feature, but I dont think Ill be bangin other cars head on or doing a few roll-overs :-)

Seth I know u too like it blairing @ the traffic lights did the yellow top take care of that?? If so how many??

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2252
"Realistically though, that's not the majority- there are a whole number of interesting factors to consider though, including not just the wattage of your amps, but your listening habits, the "duty cycle" of the bass that you are playing, recording levels, volume levels, and your batteries recharge/discharge rates and the "duty cycle" there, also... "
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^MOs website link....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yea, my listening habbits are EXTREME! :-) also is my music... Reggae, then RAP :-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3465
B, you should look into these batteries also.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/audio.html

They usually have them at your local Tweeter

Silver Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 104
B what are u runnin it looks like a jungle of wires under tha hood!

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
B, currently I'm using 3 yellow tops, and love it. But I got a little $30 battery charger from kragen (or parts america in the rest of the country) and it has a 2 amp, 6 amp, and 10 amp charge rate, for deep cycle, gel cel, or standard batteries.. also tells the number in % that the battery is currently charged, or voltage, or does an alternator test.. I love this thing. heh heh.

Had an alternator go out, and with three fully charged yellow tops, can drive around, even with my music on, for quite awhile before needing to recharge (without an alternator, heh heh).

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3473
Here is a good read for this thread

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4604

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2253
excellent thread MO! :-)

Seth, I like the idea of still driving without a alternator... Like a boating trip with these deepcycles just drive, then recharge them after....
I will also have to invest into a good charger.. How often do you check your Optimas?? or do u just charge them?? Did u read my thread on TP? :-)

"B what are u runnin it looks like a jungle of wires under tha hood!" Jeffery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ALOT............ :-)
2 2500Ds by Orion @ 1Ohm, and a 800/4 will be in the mix too...

The wiring is complicated....

2 runs of 0ga from ALT POS to battery POS
2 runs of 0ga POS to the back distribution blocks...
1 run of 0ga from batt NEG to Chasis!
1 run of 0ga from batt NEG to Alternator CASEIN!
1 run of 4ga POSITIVE to starter
1 run of 4ga POSITIVE to car electronics (ECM)
1 run of 4ga NEG to car electronics (ECM)
the 4ga runs where factory...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DID I miss anything??^^^^^^^^^^

My Current FLOWS like a WATERFALL!! Never too much wires :-) ALL those paths get USED!!! Especially when demanded from!!

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2255
Ill take some better pics 2night or tmrw, damn it was bright around lunch time that day :-) I think it was 1PM!!

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 735
The sealed (semi) batteries were designed for enclosed quarters like a trunk or battery well on a boat. The sealed units are designed to release a much lower amount of explosive gas (hydrogen) during charge than a typical wet cell. I would say a "Deep cycle" with a better quality and higher capacity ratings would be a better candidate for under the hood but in the trunk/hatch area a sealed unit is a must. Just remember not all batteries are created equal and that is where the quality part comes in. IMHO, you shouldn't have touched your factory wiring, it has no use for the upgraded pathways, nothing other than your charging system will use the increased amperage so there will be no need for it. I was going to buy the yellows but i think I will wait, lol. Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2258
hmm, takin that i had a water/starter battery in the trunk that did just fine for mnths, securely mounted, infront the port area... :-) Untill it died, got drained to 11volts by my 2500d... thats why I need "deep cycles"

"IMHO, you shouldn't have touched your factory wiring, it has no use for the upgraded pathways, nothing other than your charging system will use the increased amperage so there will be no need for it. I was going to buy the yellows but i think I will wait, lol. Polo.. "
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
umm, I didnt touch the factory wiring!! :-)
The side terminals (factory) I cut the rubber off them, so they became individual runs of 4ga....
That way I cutomized the side ring terminals to a O-ring design... as a marine terminal would use...

Thats why I said ALL the 4ga runs are factory (not my wire)... Thats what I said above... They need to be hooked up 1st b4 the stereo stuff :-)
Where I used "0ga" thats my wire, and it make a HUGE difference!!! with FActory alternator! Let alone my NEW 300a HO Excessive!!! :-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 740
Ok, I see. Ya an acid battery can be used in the trunk but the level of charging you are throwing to them will only increase the amount of available hydrogen in your trunk and if I am not mistaken you sealed off you trunk from the front of your box. Now you said in front of port area meaning the front of your box? You would have to place it in a secured container like on for drag racing to make sure if you ever blew a containment cap acid wouldn't fly all over you. I have had some nasty battery screw-ups from back in the days of finding better ways to detonate bombs, hadnothig better to do. You know, sulfuric acid turns flesh white as a sheet of paper before it gets hard and just falls off? lOl...Polo. :-O

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2265
:-) sound like bomb makin 101..
my trunk isnt sealed yet, I await a new box.. :-)

NO battery is in the back now, but I have a battery holder back there in the corner.. Man I do alot of changin... :-)

Im puttin a 2150 Deep cycle in the trunk.. Those are sealed anyways.. and 1 of those = 3 yellows..

My latest pics of the trunk....
u cant really see it, but where the power wires are is a battery holder to the far side.. It awaits my other deepcycle batt!!

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3513
After looking at alot of starter batteries for my car. I ended up at Wal-Mart and noticed they had the EverStart Maxx batteries in stock for my car, so i bought one for $62 plus other fees etc... Excellant Price for what you get.

3 year free replacement and 7 years warranty i think. 800CCA or more on my model and fits in perfectly. Sweet Deal

p.s. I got the 35N which is the North model since i live in MD. Summer is coming but i think it should be fine either way.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2296
EVERSTART MARINE MAX = 125AH / 205MIN

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...................VS........................

ODYSSEY 2150 = 126-114AH / 240MIN

NSB 125 = 132AH / 119lb
NSB 90 = 102AH / 53lb

SVR 100-12 = 100AH / 190MIN

OPTIMA D21M = 75AH / 155MIN
OPTIMA D34 = 55AH / 123MIN

STINGER SP1700 = 72AH / 103MIN

Silver Member

Post Number: 874
B - what you dont see, in these stats, is a batteries ESR, or it's ability to put out large loads of power on demand.. (i.e. some batteries can push out more current than others) also, you dont see recharging times, etc. Some cheaper batteries can take MUCH longer to charge back up, even with the same charging system...

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3540
seth what are you using for the starter ?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2303
Seth if anything the ESR is most important, then the AH rating which is regulated measurement like 25 amps per hour... Then I would look at the reserve capacity.. :-)

I wont have a problem with drainin the batteries.. OR waitin for them to recharge.... I only bump with the car ON.. SIMPLY because I dont need current from the batteries, I need it from my 300a HO alternator.. :-) There is NO battery that can supply my current demands...

If u buy a deep cycle to bump with the car off, I think thats reallly bad for high powered equipment.. I acutally wont even recomend doing that.. unless u have a bank of 20+ batteries..
Current is the hidden killer... not voltage! :-)

MY use for the deep cycle is just to help me @ traffic lights, other than that I will not be parked up bumpin...

Its only 2 major companies in the US that make ALL these diffrent batteries.. Johnson Controls is 1 of the 2 companies.... The same company that make Optima, guess what else they make Everstartt Marine MAxx...
Then add into the mix Marketing effect...

I REPEAT ANY Marine battery will be TUFFER than Car Audio batteries... They will also have higher ratings or be just as good or way better..

Seth if you want more info, drop a line to my thread on TP.. the Topic: Walmart Everstart Marine Maxx VS Optima Yellowtop?
^^^^
Alot of good info there..

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2304
Im using deep cycles like a capacitor purpose, I do need the lowest ESR.. Only if the manufactures would list this important information... LOL
But still takin into consideration that standard AH ratings.. and Reserve capacity, AND then the Marine Maxx price & LIFETIME warranty... haha :-)
Isnt that a super cap or what....

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2307
NSB125 is a telecomunication battery, by the specs, that IS the battery of Choice!!!
Followed by the 2150... Which Im puttin 1 of those in the trunk for the great price of $120 im gettin it for..
3rd comes the Everstart as far as specs.. :-) I already have that, under the hood, and it will be ok there...

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3604
i went and checked out that battery. there is no way that thing is going to fit under the hood of my car. :-(

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2308
pay close attention to my coolant reivor in the pictures.... I have a big car, and it was TIGHT its a MARINE battery.. class 29..
Its used for Trolling motors, that ride for like 8+hrs or all night in RVs and stuff.. So it HUGE! its a bigger size 31 of batteries I belive.. :-)
It has the crankin amps of a starter battery, but its a DEEP CYCLE based battery..

I had to remote the coolant resivor 1st to fit it, then make it flat, then fit it... its tight to the frame and the resivor... A little customization maybe... :-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3543
B, my battery is the EverStart Maxx 35N and not Marine altought i believe they do sell Marine also. The Marine is deepcycle where the Maxx is just starter i think with 3 year replacement and like 800CCA's or more depending on size. Which one are you using as your starter ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 877
MO, to answer your question, my 3 yellow tops are hooked up all in parallel, unisolated, as my starter battery.

And B, the problem I was having even with deep cycles, is basically, in city traffic, even with a HO alternator, the stops, they drain the battery pretty good when the alternator is idling.

Say this happens stop and go for awhile, the battery dosnt recharge NEARLY as fast as you can drain it.. it wont take 300 amps of current to charge it from yoru alternator, not even close..

So basically, what would happen to me is, over the course of a week or two, my battery would end up with a pretty weak charge, becuase where it would only take like an hour or so to drain the batteries pretty good, it would take like 6-7 hours of driving around with the charge from the alternator to recharge the batteries to 100%.

Seth

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2352
Mo the Marine Maxx is my starting batt...

yea, batteries need to be trickle charged with low steady current, the slower they charge, the better they hold that charge...

Ill be checkin my batteries atleast once a week, outside of the chargin circuit, for accurate readings.. I will also be purchasing a in-home battery charge to charge them over night when needed... maybe once a mnth or after comps... :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 28
Im a little confused here sorry. I just purchased a 200 amp alternator from nate and i need to buy a new battery. WOuld this everstart marine from walmart be ok to replace my current starter battery with? and also would i need another battery. I have a 87 range rover and i have two hifonics bx1500d amps. If i do need another battery could i put one of those everstart marines in the passenger compartment?

Thanks alot, sorry im new at this

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3609
Im also thinking of switching out the EverStart MAXX for a Marine Maxx as a starter...

Or a Yellowtop

What do you think B

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 954
I was going to go with a couple yellow tops but from what I hear just go with the marine battery with the highest figures that you can fit. You should be ok with a wet cell battery in the trunk as long as there is some ventilation and a battery box is a must, which they sell at wallmart right next to the batterys. Polo.. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
thank u, thats what ill do

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2550
the thing with this marine max, is its humungous size!! its a RV/Marine battery... if u can fit it go for it!!
the Marine Maxx sits at 12.6 volts
a Optima is really a 13 volt battery, its sits at 13.4!

Im currently think of addin 2 optima, 1 for each amp in the back, and leaving the marine maxx under the hood!! its a TUFF battery...
:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
yea i think i can sandwich it under my hood. thanks for all the help guys. and B, do you have a marine maxx in your trunk now?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2564
I have 1 battery under the hood: Everstart Marine MAXX... Ill be addin either 2 Kinetiks, 2 2150s, or 2 yellow tops... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 919
Just a quip.. I love my yellow tops, B. :-) I cant comment on the kinetiks, I've heard they're good.. But I can say from experience (trio of y-tops, unisolated) that they're great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us