Amplifier S/N ratings and my quest for a quiet amp...

Username: Karnal

Post Number: 1
I currently have a 1999 Grand Marquis with the following:

1. Infinity Basslink 10"
2. Infinity 5x7 single tweeter (can't remember the model#) x 4
3. Sony 100x4 (supposedly) amplifier powering the 5x7s.

My problem is this: When I'm sitting in my car with the engine off (and even with the engine on) I can hear the Sony hissing at me. Granted, while on the road and jamming, I never hear it, but that's because of the masking effects of the road and the volume of the music.

I'd like to know if someone has heard some truly silent yet reasonably powerful amplifiers for use in a car audio solution. I'm truly not looking for something to knock my doors off, just something that is comparable in power to the sony (I've got the system currenly tweaked to my liking) but a bit "quieter".

I know that Sony definitely isn't and shouldn't be the first choice for a decent amp, but 70$ at the Sony Outlet in PA and I couldn't resist.... :-)

Username: Karnal

Post Number: 2
Another piece:

Running a Clarion DXZ735MP as the head unit.

It's also possible that this unit is injecting some noise into the RCA outs.. the "noise" portion of the signal seems to lessen with the unit on "pause" or "0" setting of volume (it cuts out it's output).

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 371
buy an amp that puts 100x4 rms

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 951
A 400 watt Lanzar would put out more like 2000 watts and use less power doing it. You should of bought Lanzar, you can never go wrong with lanzar

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 237
LANZER IS OKAY NOT THE BEST!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us