Kinda disapointed.....

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 651
ok i recently bought a SX 15 (put in a 3.6 net CF box @ 32hz) and a nine.1 for my 89 accord and im a little disapointed compared to my old vmaxes (new version with 1.5 net CF each @ about 40 hz) with a bx1205

there is not doubt that my new amp has more power becase i had to get a bigger fuse block becaseu i was blowing fuses, but it still doent seem all that loud and doent make as much stuff rattle as my old setup. i also dont have the gain very high, but thats becaseu i have 6.5v preamps and its not supose to be high, but i dont know weather to turn it up or not.

my new sub deffiniately has better SQ, but its just not as loud, i have it tuned lower so i think that might be something to do with it.

i am going to build a bigger box for it so hopefull i can get it louder that way, i also bought 4 - 4" aero ports for the new box but i need help with port placement and direction, as well as tuneing to make me happy. i just want it to shake everything like it did with my v-maxes, i hope im just doing something wrong that i can fix to make it better.

on top of the dissapointment of my new system, my not-quite-so-new kx350.4 quit working yesterday, it will only play so loud (barly enough to hear it) before it goes into protect and then shuts off, but if i turn it back down it will turn on again, untill i turn it a litte.
the only good part about this is that i boutght it on ebay and got a 3 year exended warranty, that was a good idea, but i called them and they said there was a problem with the warranty listing and it couldnt be fixed till tuesday, so i cant get anything done untill then.

give me some help, with my gain on the nine.1, my new sub, my new box (size,tuning,port placement, ect), suggestions about my broke amp. ill apreceiate anything, im just real pissed about the whole thing

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 652
bump

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7179
marshall is expert on this forum but 2 me it looks like ur box could be alot better , good slot ported should hsve u bumping seriously

could be the load u have on that 4 chan amp causing its problems ...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7180
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 653
my box is slotported right now, but i bought the areos for my next one

each channel has a 4 ohm speaker

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 568
Well i'm assuming the vmax's you'r talking about are Cerwin Vega right? The SX was not really a SPL sub and more geared towards SQ. When I listened to it i was not blown away from the SPL of it either even though everyone says it has alot. I don't put it in the same class as my Mag even though people would like to. IMO, the SQ is more like the RL-p and Type R and not like say, the Mag or IDMAX.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 654
that sucks, everyone always says that the SX is really good, and that is a SQL sub but leans more toward SPL.

so is a mag louder that a SX?

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 572
yep, Mag has awesome SQ and more SPL, more in the class of w7, xxx, old brahma, easily competitive in the lanes.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 655
wait, which generation r u talking about?

the new ones are like 500 bucks, so they better be alot better, and i dont think ill spennd that much on a sub

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4755
terry two main differences between you vegas and the sx is your port tuning. The vegas were at 40 hz port tune and your sx is at 32 hz port tune. the vega was tuned more for a spl response meaning louder bass potential to start with . Generally speaking from my experience your spl benefit from ports usually extends no further than 10 hz above port tuning after that there seems to be no added benefit over sealed boxes. So your 40 hz tuned ported box was extending potenially up to 50hz. Also peak spl benefit from ports usually peak best at abiout 5 to 6 hz above tuning. This all depends on the theil small parameters of the subwoofer and the box size used with the subwoofer determining how much gain the port with give and how far the increase with extened in terms of the 10 hz range i mentioned. The next factor in the loudness depends on your cars cabin boost and even somewhat on where your amplifiers amplifiers bass boost is centered and how much boost you use. If you bass boost is centerd at 45 hz on one amplifier and 40 hz on another then the 45 hz boost will have a greater potential for boosting higher frequencies over the 40 hz centered amplifier. The bass boost is to be used in a moderate fashion but it can make a 2 db increase easily in some cases having your amplifiers bass boost centered centered at 45 hz or 40 hz depending on where your car needs the most help in conjuction with its cabin boost effects and getting the right balance.

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 575
talk to showrides on here and he'll get you a good price or i'll talk to him for you. The 2nd Gen is good and still better than most subs out there but the 3rd gen is just incredible.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 657
i wanna stick with my SX15 for now......just got it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us