What type of wood is best for sub boxes?

Bronze Member
Username: Zepcoe

TN Us

Post Number: 46
What type of wood is best for sub boxes?
-Zepcoe

Bronze Member
Username: Sweatyogre

PA USA

Post Number: 29
MDF, and if you can't get that for some reason, particle board.

Bronze Member

TN Us

Post Number: 47
is 3/4 inch ply wood good enough

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 369
MDF

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3525
don't use particle board. if you can't get mdf then just buy a made box.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1474
plywood wouldn't work, its not strong enough. I beleive MDF is cheaper as well.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7177
its not really about the strength , has more 2 do with the air spaces in ply which makes a mdf a better choice ......

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5544
"plywood wouldn't work, its not strong enough. I beleive MDF is cheaper as well."

plywood is absoutely strong enough! The only down fall is that it resonates and tends to flex a little more then MDF. I have heard many ply wood boxws and some of them have sounded very good.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5545
with plywood heavy bracing is a must!

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 570
plywood by itself is a crap ghetto install and even with heavy bracing is not ideal. I would stay with MDF or look into baltic birch. Baltic birch is kinda expensive and will require some bracing across long surface areas just like MDF but weighs less than MDF. Any box could use bracing and will help out with flexing.

Bronze Member
Username: Gangstaplayer

Gangstaville chicago

Post Number: 32
well plywood also absorbs sound so much that it wouldnt be effecient always go with really think mdf so it doesnt flex at all go with an inch its worth it you can get like an 8ft by like something sheet for like 20 bucks at menards

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1475
"plywood is absoutely strong enough! The only down fall is that it resonates and tends to flex a little more then MDF. I have heard many ply wood boxws and some of them have sounded very good. "

Thats exactly what i had meant to say, just after working all day and being around subs all day you're brain starts to go to mush by the end of the night.

Bronze Member
Username: Gangstaplayer

Gangstaville chicago

Post Number: 35
by subs all day your cool

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 723
My TCAB box isn't MDF or particle, looks like chipped stuff @ 3/4" and it hits, also is MUCH lighter than other boxes. The whole inside has been coated in resin and the corner closest to the ports has been filled, glassed and rounded to aid in airflow but that is it. Polo..

Upload

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7186
luckily u coated it with resin cause if water hits that wood it swells up & u gotta toss its @ss out

that wood is def not my choice even if i got it 4 free i would think twice about using it 2 build sub boxes ........

Bronze Member

TN Us

Post Number: 48
So go with MDF in conclution?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4764
Polo did give me something to think about though....Thanks Polo

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 724
luckily u coated it with resin cause if water hits that wood it swells up & u gotta toss its @ss out

that wood is def not my choice even if i got it 4 free i would think twice about using it 2 build sub boxes ........

I bought this box from a reputable box builder, local for me. This box with a 15" R and 1500wrms was running better than a 151 db on the TL. The wood is made by Georgia Pacific and have to say he got it from Home Depot, 3 blks from his house. When the bass hits the sides resonate very little even without bracing. I would like to try building the same box over with MDF, just curious. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7190
well maybe the quality of that chip wood sheet is much better nowadays cause i used similar looking wood yrs ago & it was terrible back then .......

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 579
no its still not that good and the only thing keeping it half way decent is the resin soaking in there and sealing it up. It is light weight though but I would use actual fiberglass first before I used that kind of wood.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5917
Plywood is stronger than MDF could ever dream of being. For that reason, it's more resonant, but this resonance will occur at a higher frequency and that resonance is rather irrelevant with a subwoofer enclosure.

As far as the "best" for sub boxes, plywood is the best for strength, MDF is pretty strong and well damped. Ideally you should brace any enclosure. I'd go with MDF or Marine grade Birch plywood.

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1013
there was some plywood one of my foremen brought in on a job once not sure where its from but it was sick it was like 13 ply 3/4" plywood crazy strong too and was laminated with some sort of plastic.. it was only 55 bucks a sheet, ive never seen it in any hardware stores though we got it from a warehous we just did that shipped the stuff.. bet it would work good for boxes though

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 730
I have seen some that had a laminate of cherry on it, ran $148, and was used for cabinetry and when stained was fricken awesome, kinda hard to work with though. I would use that stuff for home speaker system. Polo :-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5549
Marine grade ply is great! void free! although rather expensive.

"plywood by itself is a crap ghetto install and even with heavy bracing is not ideal. "

WHY??????????????????? I disagree highly!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us