Why does every oe tune their box to ~30 Hz?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 715
Why does every oe tune their box to ~30 Hz?

What would happen if you tuned a box to say 50Hz?

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 830
anything below 50hz would sound horrible.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 716
Do you mean anything above 50Hz?

What would a 50Hz box sound like?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5525
it would be loudest at 50hz but anything below that would cause speaker to have no control causeing speaker to go caboom if not run properly with a subsonic filter set to around tuning. A 50hz tune is a SPL application tune only, not for daily music.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 831
nope. like what james said anything under 50 would sound bad.

i would say the common tunings are between 28-35hz depending on your subs and what you want out of them. i have my type Xs tuned to 32hz and they sound good.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 717
The reason I ask is because my LPF only goes down to 40Hz soo wouldnt tuneing my box below 40Hz be pointless ?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5527
your lpf going down to 40 hz means that it won't let anything above 40hz go to your sub. You ideally want to set your LPF anywhere between 60-100 depending on your set-up and personal prefference. You are mixing up LPF and subsonic filter's I think. a subsonic cut's off at a lower hz level. So if you had your box tuned to 30hz say you would want your subsonic filter at 28hz or so and your LPF at 60-100 again depending on your taste.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 718
N.S. I guess you learn something new everyday.
Man I feel dumb...

What is a subsonic filter? is it on my Amp?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3493
what kinda amp do you have rave'n? most subwoofer amps have subsonic filter.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 646
sub sonic filter is the oposite of a low pass, sorta, it wont let anything play below the setting. how do you set a subsonic anyway? is it what your box is tuned to? just above?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5529
you dont tune it to above because your box peaks at tuning. You want to set it about 2-5hz below tuning.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 719
I got a shizy ultra linear 2800 1600.2 it only has a LPF and a switch to turn it on and off.
pumps nice for $120 shipped new.

Bronze Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 93
do you have a ported box?

If so you need a subsonic filter or you could damage your subwoofer from over excursion.

if you go to www.partsexpress.com they have these things called fmods, which act as a subsonic filter that you hook up to your rca's. I got some 30hz fmods on my amp, (cost about $25.00) but worth it if you aint got a subsonic filter.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5906
You want a ported box to be tuned low if you want SQ. High tuned boxes are what you hear at Best Buy and Circuit City. Anything above 45hz is going to sound horrible, 35 is the absolute highest I'd tune a ported box for with a SQL application.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 496
Wouldnt a ported box tuned low for SQ still be loud cuz a low tuned box is louder to the ear?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11487
for deep musical bass, you tune the box just above the Fs of the subwoofer.
that's where the output of the box will spike and hit hardest.
The higher you tune the box, the boomier it'll sound, which isn't audibly pleasing, but tuning around 50Hz does increase SPL.
Also you need to set an infrasonic filter at the frequency of the port tuning to prevent damage to the speakers, so anything below the port frequency is cut off sharply, meaning if you tune to 50Hz, you get no bass below 50Hz, or not much anyway with a steep Q.

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Post Number: 158
how do you tune a box by the or shape of it or what

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7153
well u can use this prog & simply input the values ......

http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/ported-box.asp?Ew=21.5&Eh=15.5&Dia=6&Xmax=18.2&Vd=.071&NumW=1&Vb=1.3&Fb=32&Qts=0&Vas=0&Fs=0&CE=1.5

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 588
Whats the difference between a high pass filter and a subsonic filter?

I thought that the subsonic filter just reduced power to anything below the set frequency, so that you could still play lower than that, but it will reduce the power so that no damage is done...

So is a subsonic filter the same as a high pass filter, but with a more gradual slope?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 589
To answer the question of this thread, my current box is tuned to 35 Hz, and before that I had one tuned to ~28 Hz, after comparing both of them, I think my next box will be 32 Hz. At 35, I can still hit the lowwws, but they aren't nearly as loud or distinguished as the kick drums or average bass hits.

If you want a system that has a tremendous impact on the average song, 35 Hz will do nicely. But if you are looking for something that will play all types of music the best, you need to tune lower.

Our ears aren't nearly as sensitive to low frequencies as they are to high. Which means that for your bass to sound nice and even for low notes and high notes (a flat response curve), you need to tune the box lower. For example, a 28 Hz bass impact will need to be a lot louder than a 45 Hz bass impact, for it to sound the same loudness to your ears.

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

California

Post Number: 1198
but u can feel 28hz better than 45hz if theyr at the same volume

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 722
I have them in a sealed box for now I want to build a ported box for them.

Do I have a infrasonic filter on my HU ?
I dont think my amp has one.
Does this mean I cant port them?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 723
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11503
lewass, an ISF is a HPF, but generally it's range is in the 16-40Hz range, and very steep, like 18-48dB/octave range.

a HPF generally refers to one used for full range or component speakers, and eliminates bass below say 50-200Hz. with a variable slope.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1207
i thoght u would know that lewass..........

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 590
Well I had an idea, but I hate misconceptions and I want to be sure.

So for my subs, their Fs is 22.3 Hz, and I have them in a 35 Hz box, with the Subsonic at about 32 Hz, am I just really missing out on those lows or what? Because they actually rumble down low pretty good, but I would gladly sacrifice some upper bass for a little more concentrated low end.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1216
well it depends on the music and song ur listening too if ur talking about bass below 35hz. its pretty rare for music to go below 30hz

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1217
well it depends on the music and song ur listening too if ur talking about bass below 35hz. its pretty rare for some music to go below 30hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us