Is there any difference???

Username: Ehowz

Post Number: 8
Hey guys, Im a noob so could one of you experts tell me if a class d mono amp putting out 300rms at 2ohms and one at 300rms at 4ohms draw the same from the cars electrical?

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 352
there's a group that says yes it does because of the impedance, others say that is not true because you0re demanding the same power, ask to glasswolf. I do think it's a difference because of the impedances

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 787
it will be very comparable

Post Number: 9
i thought it would be comparable too because the wattage output is the same.

but since there is a larger amp required for the 4ohm output i would think that it would draw more.

another question. there is more resistance with a 2ohm load than a 4 ohm right?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1587
2ohms is less resitance, i don't see how there would be more draw from 2-4ohms, i've allways heard it depends on how many watts it is, the only difference some say is that your amp will run cooler in 4ohms and there is a slight, and i repeat slight sq difference, most people can't tell the sq difference espically in subwoofers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thanks for the help

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11498
@ 2 ohms ou'll generally have a smaller amplifier and pay less per watt.

@ 4 ohms, you'll have a cooler running amplifier, less THD, better damping and slew rate, better SNR, and generally better sound quality and longevity, as well as better efficiency at the cost of a higher price per watt and more space for the amps.

current draw will be the same either way if both amps put out the same power. it's still amps * volts = watts, regardless of the impedance a the outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us