Can i just add a H/o alt 2 my car

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 471
Yeah i know this question has been asked a million times but, my car is about 30 years old, all original, and with a fuse box just tacked together, litteraly, its and old fusebox from anutha car with crimps to the corresponding wire,

okay i have a mb quart raa-1000, 2 15's soon.

no probs now voltage looks good now but with the second sub an pushing 1000rms i dont know whut will happen.....

plus im thinkg bout get a 18" xxx or MT from this guy with 2 hifonics amps he says bx1000 i guess he meant bx1200 or 1600 dont realy know,

plus all the other screens and computer i want to put in it.......

plz help guys

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5441
As long as the alternator was made for your car, it should fit without problem.
Now do you think it'll be a good idea to install that much power in an old car? Unless all the parts are in great shape, anything that's rusted will fall appart. I have 15" RE MT and it shakes the crap out of my car.
One more thing, just cause you have 200A alternator, doesn't mean it'll produce that all the time. It will only give as much as you demand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
heck yeah its a good idea to install all that power in a car.....Im Tim Allens first cousin....I always need more....Im not worried about fitment....Pretty sure it will fit..since u order it for your motor.....

Im talking about the wires burning up and causing all kindsa problems

Gold Member

Post Number: 5443
As long as you replace stock wires, you'll be fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
from the alternator.....U mean the BIG 3..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5449
Yes. Usually when a car's that old, most of the stock wires are all rusted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5450
One more thing, you might have to run a ground wire straight from the battery to the d block or amp for better power distribution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Can i just get a bigger alt from like a big dually or sumthing new from the Junkyard or whut because i really dont have 300$ for a real H/O alt.......but wheres that article on changing the big 3 with all those pics seen it before but dont know where....will that make a diff on the old alt...i got sum 4ga laying around...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5451
The physical size of the alternator has nothing to do with current. For real power, you need HO alternator.
If your car's old, then replacing the stock wires with fresh 4 gauge should make some difference, but nothing that you can call a miracle.
If you work with cars, it should be fairly easy to find "big 3" wires. Battery to ground, alternator to battery, and engine to chassis.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
well most of the time a bigger vehicle will have a bigger alt.......Amperage wize thats what i meant not Physical size.....Whuts the Most 4 gauge wire can handle....

And to make sure i got this right....I shouldnt have a problem running 100+ amps through my fuse box....It wont catch on fire or nothung will it...Because i have to prove it to my dad that...Nothing will happen...At first he didnt want to put a system in my car....LOL.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us