Sub makes a funny noise

Username: Bej0303

Post Number: 10
I just got this sub hooked up in the back of my car (two 10s but just testing with one) and for some reason it made some strange noise everytime it hit a certain way. I reverse mounted them, and I heard that is somewhat bad for quality, but not substancially, so what could it be. It sounds as though something was vibrating.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1145
1. How high do you have your gain set? You sure your not clipping your signal? (if you don't know what that means: it's bascially when you ask the amp to put out more power than it can produce, therefore, distorting your subs.)

2. You sure it's not something in your car vibrating? Also, is your box the right size and built good?

3. What kind of amp and subs do you have, and how do you have it wired?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 470
how long were u testing the subs...and r u sure u wernt clipping them for long....cuz i messed up my MB quarts PWE-354 subs and a peice on the inside of the sub is vibrating(dont know whut its called)

yeah but the last 2 question would b able 2 help us out more

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1146
it's possible.....could sound like the sub is vibrating, but just make sure it's nothing near it vibrating. Also, if it's out of phase, then it won't sound like it should either

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1147
not sure if it's a good thing or not, but in this whole car audio business, anything is possible, lol

Bronze Member
Username: Jl_rock

Temecula, California U.S.

Post Number: 76
you probly wired them wrong

or you have too much or too little of power.

how much do you have pushin them!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i have audiobahn (I heard they were OK not they best though)A8000T amp, and two AW100T subs, only one is hooked up. I just have a wire from the positive on the amp to the positive on the sub and same with the negative.
The amp specs:
400x1 Watts RMS @ 4Ohm Mono
800x1 Watts RMS @ 2Ohm Mono
PWM MOSFET Power Supply
double-sided Glass Epoxy Circuit Board
THD: 0.02%
S/N Ratio: >100dB
Frequency Response: 10Hz - 40KHz (+/- 1dB)
Variable 18dB Hi-pass Crossover: 50Hz - 750Hz
Variable 18dB Low-pass Crossover: 50Hz - 120Hz
Bass boost on / off
Subsonic Filter: 20Hz - 50Hz
RCA Throughput Connections
3-way Protection
Circuitry: Thermal Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Overload Protection
Cooling Fan
1600 Watts Max Power

10" EXCURSION SUBWOOFER
800 Watts Peak Power Handling
400 watts R.M.S. Power Handling
60 oz. Strontium Magnet
Frequency Response: 29Hz - 1kHz
Efficiency: 92.3 dB
2" Treated Phat Foam Surround
KM3 Coated Cone - Eliminates Virtually All Cone Distortion
2" 4 Layer High Temperature ASV Voice Coil
Single 4 Ohm Performance Coil
Mounting Depth: 5 Inch
Multi-Connect Lug Lock Terminals - Im not sure what this does

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The box has the right air space and is sealed, I use some caulk stuff, the hardware store said was a best seal than liquid nails,

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1155
seems like you have it wired properly. Next question, how high is your gain set?

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 397
audiobahns make weird noises if the gains out of whack... same with using bass boost...

i had a problem for the first couple weeks but it went away.... it sounded like the sub was bottoming out.... i guess it just needed time to break in...

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1582
it might be lead slap to, thats where the tinsil lead to your vc is hitting the cone, when its playing put your finger on the cone, if it makes the same noise then im pretty sure its lead slap, but it could also be distortion, or it could the awful sq audiobum subs make.LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
ok so how do I check those... Dustin: I have put mty finger on it, and it does still make the noise, like something is viberating. James: How do I fix this gain problems? if the gain is that little "mi"/"max" thing I have set half way.
the LPF is on, but i am not sure what do set that too. Other James: How do I check this gain?
and the sub sonic switch is off

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1157
yup, the gain is probably that max/min thing you see. Is there any numbers on it? If so, that has to match your voltage on your head unit. For example, if your hu is producing 2.5V, then your amp's gain must be set to 2.5V. Try turning the sub up to where you normally have it, and turn it down a bit to see if the sound goes away. Also, try what Dustin said too. Must to this by the elimation process

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
unfortunately there are no numbers, just min/max, the only thing that seems to do is make it loader or quieter depending on if i turn it clockwise or counter clock wise, also I do not know the voltage of the headunit and the sound is only there when it hits almost at a cetain way, when the bass is sharp, I guess would be a to point it, i did put my fingers on the cone, it did the same noise, how is lead slap fix, and is there anyway to check besides that?

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 399
if it still is making the same noise than its not the sub hitting too hard... it prolly is the VC scratching.... try the other sub!

i would set the gain at about half... that would be around maybe 3.5 V..... dont use Bass boost.... LFP set to 50 and turn on your Subsonic filter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
also, I just did the cone test again and it didnt make that noise... (i thought the cone was something else, but if I touch the cone with alittle force, it doesnt make must virbate noise... so what does that mean and how can I fix it?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1161
not really sure on repair methods for that.....not really my strong point, lol. But anyways, BUMP for someone else to take over :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
bump?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I believe it miht just get too much power (it WAS supposed to be hooked up to two speakers) and when I hook the other up, (before it blew) it sounded good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us