To Gain or not to Gain

Username: Kevin420

Gilbert, Az USA

Post Number: 1
Having major trouble setting the gain correctly on kicker kx series amp amd eq/preamp. Using the 3/4 way up ,crank gain till it distorts rule of thumb doesn't seem to be working. Still doesn't sound right. Any thoughts???

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 430
Thats not a good rule of thumb...go buy a 10 dollar multimeter and do it the right way, considering how much you have invested...as far as why it doesn't sound right, check all your settings and wires again..when i first installed my new system i had the hpf on really high adn the amp was getting very few signals....

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 730
its actually a great way to do it. yes, make sure you hpf is off and you have your low pass set to around 85, and then your subsonic filter to what your box is tuned to (if you have a ported enclosure) its not a huge deal though. try it to match the pre-voltage of your HU

Gilbert, Az USA

Post Number: 3
I have a digital multi meter. What setting would be the best on the multi meter to test this. So I would need to check my h/u rca output voltage, match that to my eq-preamp which has a gain adjust on it, then try and match that once over with the gain/output on my kx3 crossover, then turn up amp gains...Correct?? Any certain test tone or cd to adjust all this with?? LIke a 40 hz one, or is that just for bass asjust.. I want to adjust the complete system..

Bronze Member

Gilbert, Az USA

Post Number: 19
I think I figured out half my prob. After digging up the kx3 man. the outputs need to be set as gains, not full bore.. I still would like to voltmeter check my settngs, please explain..thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11480
bcae1.com has gain setting guides that tell ya how to do it right with fairly simple tools :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us