WHATS THE HIGHEST HZ U COULD SET YOUR LP FILTER AT?

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

California

Post Number: 1157
wuts the highest hz u could set your lp filter at? like 125hz no?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2335
Depends on the sub and the midrange it's trying to meet.
I've had systems set at 63hz and 80hz in the past.

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 835
i never ever set my lpf according to midrange because my systems midrange are usually fullrange or i dont know where they cross over @..

so i set mine by just listening to see what sounds right...

i find that when u cross 100 it sounds shiddy and draws attention to the sub..

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2336
Again, it just depends on the capability of your sub. My Brahma doesn't do so well over 70hz. This is cool because my iridiums do excellent down to 60 (I let them hang down to 50hz). Other subs do exceptional up around 100hz. Even better than some midranges. So, you really need to just match your system and set the xo accordingly. But like Nester said, your ear is the key and the real final step when tuning. Even after setting according to an RTA.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1159
but lets say the sub plays flat all the way up to 1k. at what point does the sub start sounding weird and u start listening to other instruments besides the bass guitar and the kick drum? like when u start hearing the drums. not the kick drum. the other ones.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5516
Hey Freddy the more levels you let play through your sub the more the voice coils heat up and the more you can cause damage. What subs are you talking about? I cross my 12w6v2 over at 100hz but it has excellent response up in that range, my avalanche I had crossed over at 63hz due to the lack of response in the upper range.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1162
well wut i want to know is at what hz does the bass start sounding like weird if u know wut i mean. if the sub stays flat up high like ur w6v2.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3426
I usually stay prefer 80hz-100hz range and it depends on the track and subwoofer.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5517
anything above 125-150 you start to hear guys voices and it starts to distort and sound harsh if that answeres your question.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1167
yea that answers my question. thanks james.

so is it okay if i set my lp at 125hz? or is that too high?

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1168
oh. and i have 2 12" kicker cvrs. the old ones with the black cone

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5518
I would go lower freddy with those subs. try to stay under 100hz if possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 21
I have my Comps running at 63Hz, they sound beautiful there.
If thats possible on your deck/amp, you should give it a shot.

Good luck!

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1170
thanks james.

ill try setting it at 100hz then. i just like setting my lp high to get every bass note to come out of the subs instead of the mid speakers. i think it sounds better this way.

and my pioneer deck only has settings on 50hz 80hz and 125 hz so ill try to get 100hz out of there.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5520
if those are your only option run them at 80. what mid range speakers are you running? are they amped or off your deck?

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1174
ya ill just run them on 80hz but id like to have it a little higher like at 100hz. im running the spakers at 80hz hp. theyre a pair of 6.5" and 4"

Username: Ronyee

Post Number: 1
sort of a piggyback on this question, is it better to use the crossover on the head unit or my amp? They are both kenwoods, HU being a kdc-4032 and the amp is a kac-8452. I also have a kicker comp 12 in a sealed box. I know the slope for the lpf on the amp is 18db and the hpf is 12db. I am assuming the HU is 12db. What combination of crossovers should I use? I was thinking using the HPF for my midrange (infinity 6012i) and setting the amp to pass through on that one. For my sub I want to use the lpf on the amp since it has a steeper slope and set the HU lpf to passthrough. Does this make sense? Thanks in advance for the help!

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1182
what hzs does the lp on your hu have?

Post Number: 2
60/80/120/through for the headunit

the amp is continuous throughout the range

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5528
try them both turn your HU filter off and run your amp's LPF then turn your HU's filter on and turn your amp's off see which one you like better and go with it. in the future Ronald start a new thread this is called thread hijacking. It's just courtesy, most people in here are pretty good with helping newbie's out.

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1185
if u want it at 80hz. just set the lp on your hu on 80hz and make sure the lp on the amp is higher than 80hz so it will stay filtered at 80hz.

Post Number: 3
yikes, sorry about the thread jacking, I thought it would be better to continue on with this dicusiion, no offense intended. That being said, thanks for the good advice. I should have guessed that the best answer usually comes down to personal auditory preferences. Last q though, if I use one filter I should set the other to through correct? Or does it only matter that the filter on the second unit is set as to not interfere with the pass on the first unit. Hope this question makes sense. Sorry again about the threadjack

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1191
the lp is set at the one that is lower.

like if u set the hu at 80hz and the amp at 100hz it will be filtered at 80hz.

or if u set the hu at 120hz and the amp at 70hz then it will be filtered at 70hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us