Alpine vs. Re sx

Bronze Member
Username: Theweasel

Post Number: 50
which would be louder, 1 re sx 15" in a 4 cu ft ported box or 2 12" alpine type r's each in a 2 cu ft ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 617
why not put the type r's in a bigger box?

tcab hit 150dbs all the time with 2 type rs as far as i can understand and marshal is having a real had time getting there.

but thats all i know

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2622
i'm having trouble getting to 150db w/ 1 SX15 because i only have ~1200wrms. (~750w on burp after box rise)

Tcab does 150's w/ orion 2500's and hifonics colosus amps. (2500w and 3200w) Their subs end up seeing ~1500w-1700w on burp lots of times. Plus they have a TL to play w/...i just get to get on the TL at comps.

They do make some dam nice boxes though..i'll give them that. They are just not the "be all, end all" boxes that some people make them out to be.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2623
oh...but to tell the truth, w/ that choice i would go w/ the 2 12's.

Bronze Member
Username: Jl_rock

Temecula, California U.S.

Post Number: 59
lets talk type X!

they would smoke RE!

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2641
wow...shadow, have you actually ever heard a type-x? or an SX?

type-x's have good SQ, but that dont get all that loud. I would much rather have a JL w6v2 than a type-x.

SX's are amazing daily driver subs. Pretty good SQ...not as good as a w6v2 but much better than an L7/L5. They get loud as h3ll in the well built box w/ ~1000wrm.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 619
that sucks that 2 r's is louder, makees me sorta regret buying my SX15 because it cost more, how do the 2 compare in SQ???

i have a nine 1 and when i went to set my gain with the JL tutorial it ended up all the way down, would i be ok to turn it up some? it is just not as loud as i hoped right now, and i think it will take more but i dont want to blow it, should i turn it up? i did give it a little bass bost but not much, bout 10 o clock on the dial.

im also gonna give the sub a bigger box with 4 - 4" aero ports, hopefully i get some more output that way

any how do you calculate box rise

also, when i checked the impedence on my sub, it was more like 1.4 ohms on a real DDM, whats up with that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
you are probably not gonna blow the re with that amp. re's are built very very well. i'm pretty sure they will get you a new one for a low price if you blow it too.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 620
get me a new one or recone it?

and what a low price?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 621
also i have 6.5v preamps so with the gain up real far i think i woulnt have a problem blowing it, thats why im afraid to turn it up

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 681
they will recone it, but that consists of new cone and dust cap, new coil, and new spider, the only thing that will be original will be the magnet and basket. basically a new sub. if its under warranty if u blow it u shouldnt have a problem gettin it repaired for free. plus the spider will rip before it bottoms out and damages the coil and eventually blow. so u will be able to hear the diff with the spider ripped. my SX 12 did this, mostly do to low tuning freq.

6.5v preouts is better than 2v. but i think the SX will withstand the power. that nine.1 should be the perfect amp for that sub.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 623
then about where sould i set my gain?

and they will fix a torn spider for FREE???? that can be right, they would have to fix way to many subs

any why do they have to put a dustcap on? i like the way they look on the SX thoug so...

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 579
I would way rather have an 15 SX. 1 sub set-ups are the sh1t. I think the SX would be louder, and if not, they would be about the same. Like I said tho, the 1 sub set-up is the way to go for me and the SX looks about 5 times better than those R's. I really don't like the way the surroud looks on those.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 624
^^^ agreed, it is alot prettier

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2653
SX will get dam loud...in daily installs the SPL difference in an SX15 and 2 12" r's wouldnt really be noticable. (given the same amp)

SX's are great subs.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 626
i think i will turn up my gain to about 9 or ten oclock (all the way down now), and set my BB to about noon

i dont think that will blow it

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 687
ok dude, they arent goin to change the look of the old dust cap, they will put the same logo on it, that big thing with the RE logo on it that goes from surround on one side to the surround on the other is the dust cap. it wont look like the MT with the raised cap. and they WILL recone it for free, IF IT IS UNDER WARRANTY. i know this becuz it happened to me, i just didnt tell them my box was tuned to 28 hz instead of 30 hz (30 being the lowest becuz the Fs is 30).

i dont think u have to worry about that sub blowing, u have a eD nine.1, thats perfect.
just turn ur radio where u like to listen when ur slammin, have ur gain all the way down at this time, then start turning ur gain up until the sub starts to distort (this will not blow ur sub) then back off a lil. i had an Orion 1200D on my SX 12 and i had the gain turned maybe a quarter back from all the way up. this was after i built a new box for it, tuned to 35 hz.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 716
If you are usng bass boost you should have the remote on hand at all times! It is not a good idea to set the BB and not have a way to remotely adjust it unless you kept it to around 3 dbs. Polo..

Bronze Member
Username: Jl_rock

Temecula, California U.S.

Post Number: 67
Alpine are better than they look!
The re are more cheaply made
The cone on re are paper!!!
why would someone want a paper cone?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 627
shadow, your an idiot and you basing this all off of internet pics (notice how you only point out the looks, thats the give-away)ands is not paper, its a very good foam, they use foam because its lighter and flexes easier, which leads to better performance and output, with the sacrafice of some life, but they will last a long time anyway

anyway i turned up my gain some, and my BB is down (about 9 0clock on an 18 db scale), i have the remote mounted on my console so thats fine, i also always have my HU in my hand in case of cops, so i can mute it realfast if i need to

my current box is 32hz, and im building one with areos to about 35hz so im good there

and i just bought the sub a month or so ago so im totally good there too

any johnny, how did your boxes compare? how much louder was the 35? cleaner was the 28?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2659
RE cones are not made out of the type of 'paper' you are thinking about.

Its carbon fiber reinforced pulp...very strong and very light weight. (light = low mms)

In fact...type R's cones are kevlar reinforced pulp aswell.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 628
and did you tear a spider you said?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5890
"Alpine are better than they look!
The re are more cheaply made
The cone on re are paper!!!
why would someone want a paper cone?"

Because paper is the strongest inherently damped material. It may seem "low-tech" or cheap, but in reality paper cones are one of the best cone materials out there.

Cones are irrelevant, anyway, it's the motor, frame, voice coil, and necessary machining of those parts that make a sub cost money.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 630
^^^^ ah, intellectuallity, praise god

and i just saw that you did tear the spider so nvm about that, but id still like to know the tuning diff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
a shadow is a d-bag don't pay attention to him. he's the guy who has like 3 usernames and posted one forum saying jl sucks and the next said re sucks. he knows about as much on car audio as my mom.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 631
or less than my girlfriend--(covering ears) "terry turn it down, its too loud"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us