Making room, what can be cut?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 687
Anyone cut metal from behind the back seat? I have done it in the past but it was like stamped steel and didn't look like it was all that supportive. My car now 2001 Pontiac GP has a boxed steel tube that goes from one side to the other, seems pretty solid. I need to get rid of this so I can make a large enclosure, any experiences or ideas welcome..Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 539
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 689
Here you go! Polo.. :-)

Upload

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 541
do you know if the tube has anything in it??

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 690
No actually there isn't and the deck where the speakers are is very flimsy.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 542
so are you saying that if you cut that tube then the rear deck would be even more flimsy? because i would say if you really need the room, just cut it.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 691
If I cut that bar I would remove the back deck probably anyways.

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 546
Oh then i say go for it! what exactly are you asking for anyways?? suggestions on how to cut it or what to use??

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 692
No weather or not someone thought it was a functional support or just there to support seating and the back deck. Polo..

Silver Member

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 549
I would guess it does a little more than that but i'm no car expert, but i'm sure you can live without it.

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 46
are you talking about from the present hole up if you are i wouldnt cut that it may seem flimsy but its probably still structural support.. i could be wrong but.. you might want to find a different way of makeing a bigger box

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 694
That hole is smaller than it looks. From the floor to under the deck itself, not the lip of the bar is 18". I would like to get rid of all of it and MDF the whole thing,including the back deck. Every have a vision? Polo..:-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2212
That could be support for the entire back end... ? Im not sure at all.... I too will be building a new box from the inside.. If you cut it, then the box will have to support what u cut...
Man really on this forum you wont get any help on stuff like this.... Here..
http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/3/t/005684.htm l

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 701
Thanks B that was a BIG help! Gives me a lot of ideas. I traced the end of the support and it is not really structural, just for seat belt anchors but I only partially cut it I should be ok. I haven't figured out what to do sub-wise maybe just use my two sx15's, or one 15"XXX or a couple of SSX 15's? Have any idea the amount of space the SSX 15's need by chance? I may use two huge 6" or 8" ports firing forward and hide away behind my rear arm rest, sounds cool, lol. Polo.

Bronze Member
Username: Tippindown

Post Number: 13
ahh cool polo i also have an 01 gp what model do u have? and could u take a pic of ur HU or just tell me where u got ur mount?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2214
couple of SSXs... I would be stepping to these in the near future.. I will have to buy the power 1st, b4 I be these... :-)
a SSX can get loud in a fairly small enclosure, but I would use the entire trunk for a pair..... they will also thank you.. :-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 705
Bryce, I am running the stock Bose unit, yep... I just put a 300A alt on mine from Iraggi, direct bolt on but it isn't cheap, looksy here...:-O

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Tippindown

Post Number: 16
ahhhhh $hit i would kill for a gtp, someone at my school has a gtx ram air its a beuty, but i only have an se 3.1 so if u could keep an eye open from iraggi ho alt form there cuz i cant seem to find one, keeping in mind i have an 2001 3.1 , thanks man PS ( do u post at any gp forums if not u should check out clubgp.com )
but it has like 90,000 less miles than my 3000GT so thats why i gave the 3k up

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2220
Polo check my new profile... New toys will be in @ the end of the week..
I hope you have a deep cycle with your setup... i didnt have one... I think my current draw was too much... :-(

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 719
Naaa, no deep cycle yet. I just got my wirring, two 25' spools of 1/0 ga. I don't think I am going to run a full two runs just yet, I am only gonna run so far 2500+ rms, not 5000 rms, lol. I went today to look locally for 1/0ga torque tite connector, they either didn't have them anywhere or they wanted like tripple of the any online price! I was going past so I even stopped into BestBuy and they ain't got sh!t! The kid didn't even want to help he kept walking away, then he knew absolutely nothing, I told him they SVCK, lol. He looked shocked, he shouldn't have, hahahaha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us