Ground Problem

Username: Hologram

Post Number: 5
I posted about this problem a while back, I had fixed it, now I am having problems again. I cannot properly ground my amp for whatever reason. I know its a problem with the ground wire, because when I attempt to ground my amp, the fans on my amp turn on, and the lights turn on, but the amplifier itself wont. I had it working fine for about 6 months before I had this problem. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 98
check all the usuals. make sure theres no paint where the ground wire is screwed in. check the power on wire. and finally check the fuses on the amp. if everything turns on but theres still no sound, maybe it could just be a simple problem with the rca jacks. or it could be some speaker wire his short-circuiting, causing the amp to go into protection before it even plays anything.

Post Number: 6
Im about to check those things again man, but my amp doesnt turn on...only the Protection Mode light turns on when I turn on my car. However, when I attempt to ground it, the fans turn on. The Power light is still off, however...

Username: Drivingreckless

Nuthingsville, Florida United state...

Post Number: 6
sumtimes ive heard tht if the ground wire is longere thn 8 in problems can occur how long is ur ground wire? could a fuse be blown??

Post Number: 7
8inches?!? No way, thats way too short, I would never be able to ground with that length...My ground wire is a little less than 2 feet long, I thought that was acceptable? And I checked the fuses on my amp, they are good, and I have reset the circuit breaker that I have in the front...

Bronze Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Nuthingsville, Florida United state...

Post Number: 11
im sry i meant no longer than 18 inches...

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 891
you blew the circuit breaker?

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 245
you can't blow a circuit breaker.

if yer amp turns on, the issue isn't amp grounding. cuz if you have a bad ground, it won't turn on at all. check to see if your speaker wires are shorted, and make sure you have yer (is it a sub? whats hooked up?) driver(s) wired correctly for an operable ohm load.

Post Number: 8
Ive checked the speaker wires, and Im running it at 2 Ohms, it is operable Im sure. I had it working earlier today, but it stopped, like always.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 912
If you had a bad ground your amp could still turn on, but when the amp demands more power it may go into protection mode or turn off. Check your ground and bolt it to the metal. Also scrape the paint off of the metal for better contact.
Saying that you blew the breaker is an expression. I didn't mean that it blew-up. lol

Post Number: 9
Ive checked the ground plenty of times. Also, when Im driving, the amp sometimes turns on if I take a hard left turn, and off when I take a hard right...what could be causing this?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 917
sounds like a loose connection somewhere. It could also be that your amp chassis(metal part of amp) is touching the metal part of the car or a ground somewhere. are you using screws to mount the amp to the car? try removing the screws and setting the amp on a towel or something so that it cannot touch the metal on the car and see if that fixes it.

Silver Member
Username: Gage

Post Number: 112
i had a problem similar to this check the fuse holder and fuse on the power wire
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us