How hot is too hot for sub?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 667
I went through the phase of stink coil (RE sx15) now that I have more power on tap (300A alt)it seems like my amp putting out more power and my sub jars your head. I noticed that the back gets really hot (not scalding) and I get more stink but kinda smells different then the glue smell is this normal or is it getting overpowered? I am not clipping it at all, it sounds awesome but just stinks like @ss. The Amp is a Kicker sx1250.1 and this thing tops out at around 90 deg F, very sweet. Polo.. :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11470
subs will get hot.
remember you only get about 5% work back from the power put into a speaker, so that other 95% pretty much goes to heat and so forth. the reason pole pieces are vented on subs is to cool them. The coil builds up a lot of heat with hundres of watts running through it.
don't worry about it, and quit sniffing glue.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 273
hahaha

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2189
:-)
they get hotter that hott.... espeically the magnets.. everything should be ok since the signal isnt clipped...

the glue u smelling is cause its acutally seeing full power from your fully powered amplifier now (300hoa) :-) thats the glue u never burned off of it.. LOL

You will become very use to this smell...

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2190
I dont think some glue ever burns off... lol
my boi R had his 4x15s for ova a yr or so, and he can still make voice coil smells after a really really loud session... :-) He just turns emm louder, and they just keep getting louder :-) He is using buttloads of power too, severly ova powered.... :-)

once its lots of excursion, then the subs will stay cool, u normally smell stink when u lower the volume...

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 671
I'm using some of those THX sound tracks and the lows are just awesome. I also have some old school bass 305 that is also coming alive. I have a problem with back deck rattle and found out it was becasue of my third brake light and deck material, all gone now, lol. I can turn it up loud enough to where I have a hard time holding the wheel and makes you sqwint because your teeth are chattering together, fricken awesome,lol. I have another problem, I don't have any allergies but this glue sniffing thing has my nose running, lol. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1567
My friend has an SX and it still stinks when he turns it up. Just get used to it...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2621
wow...my SX hardly ever stinks. (except at comps...and then only a lil after ~5 full power burps)

weird...?

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 659
my XXX 12 05 model stinks after long 30 hz tones. but not on a regular basis.

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 126
my a$s stinks when i let out a 30hz tone.....

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 700
It does seem to stink more on the lower notes. I don't compete so I beat the P!SS out of my sh!t all the time, lol ! That sh!t got my car stinking like @ss all the time now...Polo. :-O

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us