Aero ports

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 599
point me in the direcion of the cheapes aero ports out there, i am looking to externally port my SX 15 to give it more room and make it louder

i have it in a 3.6 cu ft box tuned to 32hz and its loud and hit low, but i want it a little louder, i think ill have to go with areo ports because my box is the absolute biggest i can fit in my trunk without building it in the trunk, soi think i will duplicate my box size, but without a port, then stick some areoports on it

what tuneing shoud i go for, and what size ports?

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 475
partsexpress.com

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 602
they dont have much, and it would take like 50 of there biggerst one to get what i need

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-480

Silver Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 208
Make them yourself.. saves money and its pretty easy.. Upload

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 477
how big of a port do u need

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 604
well i have a SX 15 and im think i wanna tune it to like about 36-40 hz so.......

is it okay to run that sub tuned that hight daily? i wont max it out every time im in the car of course

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2155
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-352
depending on the size of the box. 4 should do for ur SX, i have this kit and its great

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 605
yea but how do i know how many i need and what length? im used to sloted ports and never messed with pvc b4

and do they all have to be the same length? or can i chang the lengths of ane or to to change tuning?

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
I can change the lengths with mine.. you can see the joint in my pic.. they're tuned at 35hz, but for SPL, i could tune them higher if i want too..

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 666
Well My box is 4.47cf, with four 4" aeros and each has a length of 18.5" including both flare ends. Do not mix lengths you will get very poor results. My box is tuned to around 40hz but in vehicle it comes out to around 36-38hz, dependant on conditions. If you are short on space you will not get this box or your either with external aeros, takes up a lot of room. I really don' think anyone in IN can handle this box anyways, lol. Polo.. :-OUpload

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 606
yea because indiana is really far from chicago, so the people must be compleatly different

but anyway, i want a box very similar to yours, but i want the sub in normal, but how is the SQ at that tuning? and is it safe to run it at that daily?

o got a nine.1 btw

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 607
dont you need more port area that those 4 - 4" port? and what do you mean by tuned to 40, but 36-38 in a car?

and where did you get them?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 481
Hey Jay B. how did you make them

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
i used a torch to heat them up and flare them on a bowl.. some people use a heat gun, less worries about burning the PVC.. took my a couple test runs to figure out how to heat them up without burning them, but it works... then just flange them on a flat surface.. i used my work bench.. takes a wile to let them cool so they hold their shape.. poor cold water down the PVC to cool it so it'll stiffen, then i used a router bit to counter sink the screws...

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 608
hmm..... thats genius and i could use 6" PVC from lowes. do they have 8 10" PVC there? or anywhere?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 609
8" or 10"

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 674
Do you really know how long the ports would have to be to run those large dia ports? Four 4" port are quite extreme area wise, a program will tell you one or two for it to tune right. When I say in car tuning I mean when played in the vehicle after the sound has been beatin up by your cars interior it will tune a little lower than the port tuning itself. This box can play from 20hz to 80hz, running extremely strong closer to the middle. Round ports are able to play more frequencies due to a less sharp cutoff unlike slot-ported enclosures. The smaller the box you use the higher the tuning and longer ports you will have to have. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 482
Jay B y ou got any pics of when you was making them?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 610
can use pvc elblows so i can hace longer ports?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 611
do you screw the port on the inside or outside of the box?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 612
polo: according to this site, your box is tuned to about 37-38hz

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 678
Funny you can get different answers from different sites. You screw them on the inside of the box and put them together outside, use electrical tape to hold them together. You must seal the inside flare with a sealant to maximize efficiency. With Aeros I would not try to use an elbow because you would be defeating the purpose of an aero which is to minimize port noise by adding a restriction in turn will be noisy. You may be better off with a different box like this one but with one sub?Upload

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 614
that is exactly what i was thinking,

its gonna be 31"W x 30"H x 14" tall

it sould be over 5 cu ft after all displacements

still not sure what i want to tune it to - i was thinking about 37hz but i donno yet

and i think ill have the ports goin into the cab of my car so it'll be really windy in there, i love that

it will suck to get it in though, ill have to go through the backseat door or whatever you call it, and i might evern have to take out my seats to get it in

it sould be really loud like that thou, i hope anyway, it will basically be a TCAB box, unless they do something that i just dont know about. and i think i just get 4 of the aero port kits listed above--4". im pretty excited about building it

it should be a hell of an improvement from the 3.6 cu ft net slot port box i have now, not nessicarilly in SQ, but almost deffinately in SPL

im not sure how the sub facing up in a trunk will be though

tell me what you think, ill probly post my plans later

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 686
Hard to tell maybe post pics of the trunk interior space and maybe a picture of what it looks like behind the back seat. Polo..

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 615
Upload
Upload

these are pics i had

that box is 31" wide x 16.5" tall x 23" deep

you can sorta see the box behind my old amp

im almost positve i can fit the box i said b4, but the total net volume will only be like 4.6 cu ft instaed of 5

does that sound like it will work to you thou?

i really think it will

another plus about facing the ports in is that the air will keep the amps cooler because it will be blowing directly on them with the back seat up, so it make sense to me

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 688
Ya, the sub will face your back seat and the ports will come out of the side and they will point to one of those corner poskets you have in the rear of your trunk. The ports go on after the box is in. Polo.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 616
actually i was planning on having the ports inside the box because there is only 10-12 inches on the sides where hose pockets are. i think that way i can maximise cubic footage and have it tuned pretty low. and i was also planning on having the sub on top

the box i was planning is exactly like the TCAB one you posted, with the sub on top, and the ports blowing at my backseat, or into the cab of my car when the seat is down. i figured that way would be cleaner looking and a little easier

would it be better to port them externally? even if i lost some net cubic footage?

and what do you think about the sub being on the top of the box, facing up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us