Sub Box Direction

Bronze Member
Username: Rwells

Atlanta, Georgia United States

Post Number: 37
I got a Acura Integra with 2 12" CVR's. i have my subs facin the back of the car toward the exaust. But im startin to think maybe i should have it facin the other way, and maybe that might help trunk rattle too since i ride with the back seat down! what do you think???

Username: Jl_rock

Post Number: 4
Face them up!!!------it will rattle the f*** out of your trunk.-------trust me-----facing them your way wont do that much

Post Number: 5
what do you have pushin those??------you can beat the heck out of those--

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
na man, thats the point i dont want my trunk to rattle, but i want a lot of bass too. im really impressed with these CVR's. they put out TONS of bass in my sealed box and i have my amp turned up only half.

Post Number: 10
ohh--well than push them your way it will do damage---ive only herd the kicker comps and they were all right---so yours must be pretty bangin--- i think you should face them your way

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 471
a Shadow is total newb, also the same person as "brett harris/cody whatever"

Brandon, keep them in the back facing backward. That is the best configuration (there are tests that prove it).

Buy mad ft² edead and put multiple layers on your trunk lid (get a roller tool, helps a LOT), and make sure you overlap it onto the edges that actually touch the bottom of the trunk seal opening when its closed, this will allow the trunk lid to close down tighter, due to the increased thickness around the edges of the trunk seal.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 472
^^^ You'll get noticeably louder bass, AND much less rattling.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 434
lewass were are those tests, u got a link

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
awesome thnx^

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1182
ive never seen those tests the way ive heard it is it is the same facing front or back except i see it as facing them towards the front they rattle less i would like to see those tests i wont believe it til i see them thouhg not calling you a liar though

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 479
K let me do some googling. It was independent testing done by some guys at a car audio shop back in 2003... They tested like 4 or 5 different cars with different types of trunks..

OK here it is: www.installer.com/tech/aiming2.html

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6969
apart from 'those tests' experiementing on ur own & experience will prove that it does sound ALOT better hands down if facing backwards .

However if ur trunk is rattling like hell & u dont want 2 sound deaden 4 some strange reason then face up or even forward ......

Bronze Member

Temecula, California U.S.

Post Number: 39
im tellen you up sounds really good---thats how i have mine setup

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 480
You would sacrifice bass for less rattling. You would never want to do that. Louder bass will make more rattles.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6976
"You would sacrifice bass for less rattling"

- yep thats what happens if u face up/front , it depends on if u do not want 2 s/deaden or too lazy or too cheap .......

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 438
thanks for the site on the test, but all the losses seem to happen around 100hz, i dont think many people run this subs at that high of a fq my cross over is set at like 70 or 80 cant member so i shouldnt have a problem, i wanted to face mine towards the backseat (for a stealth look)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
ill just duy some deaden! cause i defeinately dont want to lose bass...thnx every1

o and with the deaden,, do i need to buy both the paint on stuff that is like paint, AND the mats?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 486
no, one or the other

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 494
Rovin: Yeah I'm totally with ya, but from a practical standpoint, why would anyone ever want to do that?

bassfishing: No, the biggest losses are around 100 hz, but the curve is lower throughout the entire frequency response... with every single car tested... some more drastic than others.

If you don't want your trunk to rattle, get shittier subs, or sound deaden. In my opinion it is wasted money to buy expensive subs only to run them in anything but the optimum configuration. Also, how can anyone expect to have a killer setup without the use of any sound deadening?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 495
Just make sure you get peel and stick sound deadening, otherwise you will have a huge project on your hands.. But yes using both does help to really do the job well... It all comes down to how important is it for you to not rattle. I've also found that expanding foam does wonders for those out of sight out of reach places...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
when you say expanding foam, you are talking about that stuff in a can that you spray and becomes a hard foam?? does it really work? i thought about that but i just wasnt sure if it would work!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 502
Yep, thats the stuff. If you use a long straw or tube that allows you to pump it into hard to reach places, it can be great to stop those impossible rattles. It works totally different than dynamat does though, whereas dynamat and other peel and stick products actually add mass and convert vibration to heat energy, the expanding foam does nothing but physically hold 2 offending objects from rubbing eachother. So you need to be smart when using it, and also be careful, because when it dries, it can be a pain in the azz to remove.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
i just put a can on that i had layin around the house. ill let it dry and if i can tell the slightest differance than i will go to home depot and buy some more and fill the whole trunk up with the sh!t. im a student on a very small budget and i hate to admit i cant even afford spendin 50$ for some deaden at teh moment. the foam will be a temp solution though until i get some money!

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 503
Don't just spray it on your trunk, it needs to be used only in certain spots, like behind a tail light casing... You gotta use peel and stick for the trunk lid and major surface areas

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2164
my subs, are facing into the cab, I must say, the bass will knock the snot out of your nose...
Its also extremely loud on the outside of my vehicle!!

The bass all depends on your vehicle and the shape of it= resonating frequency; also these test performed isnt too accurate at all..

he had sub facin inward, with the back seat up??? < what is that proving?
It better sound better the other way, with space in front of it, pointed toward the exhaust... :-)
Then some of the test are in suv... so thats a HUGE diffrence!!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2165
SPL in a sealed box
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us