Is sealed ever better than a ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 144
What is the difference between sealed and ported? I was always told that ported has better sound quality, is louder, and can handle more power. When is it better to use a sealed box? Im guessing when you have very little room and need a small box.
Thanks
Brad

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6946
read this

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3370
i think that depends on the sub. some subs sound better in ported than sealed and the other way around.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 864
Some subs were designed more for sealed over ported, or vice versa. You can generally tell from the EBP (search it on google, I don't have any links on hand atm, at work).
Sealed gives generally a more flat response, more power handling, and better transients (I believe?) than ported, but ported gives you less power handling, and the 3db increase from the port.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 640
I have 2 R's sealed to specs and they sound amazing I was going to port them but I like Techno so I kept them sealed, but if you put on some say lil john even those lows are very nice on my R's.
I prefer high power sealed Tight SQ over loud bass of a ported box.

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 125
I myself enjoy techno and rap and did the sealed thing with my R's before swithcing over to port. Ilike the port muhc better. Hits harder and a little lower. 2 TypeR's as well like rave'n

http://mypage.iu.edu/~dawesten/System/Trunk2.jpg

Depends on what you wnat.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11452
many factors.
the Qts or EBP of a sub determines if it's best suited to sealed, ported, or either enclosure type.
after that each design has it's pros and cons.
in a car (as opposed to a house, or anywhere else due to cabin gain) a sealed box will give a "flat" response, meaning no rise or peak in output at a given frequency. This is ideal if you're doing a sound quality system and you don't want a bass-heavy system. Ported will give you a spike in output around the port tuned frequency of the box (up to about 1 octave above) so you get more deep bass, with the same or less power used. It's a mans of getting more output without spending money for a bigger amp on a sealed box.

a ported box has increased group delay, and decreased thermal power handling, but transient response is improved, and mechanical power handling goes up. excursion is limited in a ported box, but less pressure is exerted on a sub in a sealed box. There are trade-offs for every enclosure type. as suggested, diysubwoofers.org has a lot of good info on every box type, or at least all of the common, not so esoteric designs.

Silver Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 146
Thanks a lot!

Silver Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 147
Off topic how much polyfill do you put in a sealed box? I have a small 1.0 cubic sealed box behind the seat in a ranger and was curious about how much polyfill I should put in the box if any?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3405
For each cuft you add 1 lb. of polyfill if you want to smooth things out and get a deeper sound.

Silver Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 148
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jl_rock

Temecula, California U.S.

Post Number: 47
depends on the size of the box and the power to your sub

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums