Which main line power+ground AWG to use????

Bronze Member
Username: Pvduk

Post Number: 23
Hi,

I'm going to run a MTX Thunder 502 (2 x 90w RMS @ 4ohms - 12.5 VDC) and a Kicker KX600.1 (around 1 x 500w RMS @ 2ohms- 12.5 VDC).

I was thinking of running 1/0 AWG wire from the battery to a distribution block (right near the amps), then 4 AWG to both amps. Then 1/0 AWG ground (from chassis at rear of car) to a ground distribution block (again right next to amps), then 4 AWG wire to both amps.

Does this sound right, or should I just run 4 AWG wire straight from battery and chassis ground to the dist. blocks, then again 4 AWG to amps?

I have a feeling it will be better to go with the 1/0 AWG straight away, just incase I wanna upgrade in future, etc. But will the main line 4 AWG work anyway with these 2 amps???

Thanks in advance guys.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1801
the 4 guage will be fine and you would have to do a considerable upgrade to need 0 guage.... and if you do that then youll most likeley need to upgrade charging system also...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11438
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 862
Yea, like Ty said, if you're planning on DEFINATELY upgrading into 4 digit total Watts, I would run the 0 gauge, otherwise, it's way too much trouble. Just refer to Glass's link.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks guys, I'll go with the 4AWG main line.

Also, I've been trying to find info on what gauge speaker wire to use for 150w RMS speakers and a 600w RMS subwoofer?????

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11455
16AWG is fine for subs. 18AWG for components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks Glasswolf. I have some 12 gauge lying around and the amp kit i'm getting provides some also, so I'll just be using 12 gauge for both components and subwoofer.

Also, is there any difference at all in 'power' and 'ground' cables?? Could I use a power cable for a ground connection, and visa versa???

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Also Glasswolf, I was wondering why the gauge sizes for speakers are so big (smaller wire), especially for the sub??? One would automatically think that you would need huge wires for the sub (4 - 8awg) and medium for the speakers (10 - 12 awg)??

Is there a guide for speaker wire gauges? Or would you care to explain please????

Thankyou.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Bump...

Glasswolf, or anyone else???????

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2155
dude did u even read the link?
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

sub wires are not passing that much current to begin with! so 12-14ga is ideal for the subs, 12ga can pass upwards of 40amps, thats alot from a amplifier!!

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 755
power: http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wirepowercalculator.swf

Speaker: http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 757
"I was wondering why the gauge sizes for speakers are so big (smaller wire), especially for the sub??? One would automatically think that you would need huge wires for the sub (4 - 8awg) and medium for the speakers (10 - 12 awg)??"

It comes down to current -
Speaker wires are higher voltage than power wires so they don't require high current - which is the basis for wire size.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thank you very much guys!!

One last question.. Is there any difference in 'power' and 'ground' cables?? Could I use a power cable for a ground connection, and visa versa???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Bump, someone please answer this quick question ^

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 762
yeah, that's fine.
Just keep the color straight, and use the same gauge.

I used red for both pwr and gnd in my wife's truck but I put a strip of black elec. tape on the gnd every foot or so just to keep them straight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us