Seas Lotus Reference or DLS Iridium 6.2

Silver Member
Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 152
hey everybody. it's been a while since i've posted anything here, and i'm sure no one is happy to see another one of these threads, but i still wouldn't mind some input if possible. i think i have my component choice narrowed down to these 2 sets (Seas Lotus Ref/Iridium). just wondering how the 2 compare to each other and which one everybody would choose. any input good or bad about either would be great. I listen to mostly alternative, with some rap thrown in there every now and then, if that helps at all. thanks in advance and i look forward to everyone's opinion!

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2314
DLS really shines when it comes to the their .3 sets. I love mine :-)
The midbass, while excellent-just the right amount of punch and clarity-they don't seem to fair as well in the upper regions as do some other sets. But with the 3", all of that is a moot point. It does everything (and then some) at which the mid bass fails to do well, leaving the midbass to reproduce what it does best-the lower regions (hence, "mid-bass"). An excellent set that is truly revealing. But I think they missed the mark they were aiming for with the 2-way sets. Their 3-ways, again, are excellent.
Havn't heard the Lotus, but based on Jonathans word alone, i would certainly consider them over the DLS. And in the sense of 2-ways, I would definitely nabb them first. I'm sure Jonathan will elaborate more in the interim. If not, there are numerous threads here with his review.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
thanks mike. i'll look into jonathon's reviews. anyone else have anything to add?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5884
2 ways, Lotus References hands down. The Lotus comps vs the 3 way Iridiums is a more even competition.

Past that, I don't know if either of these components are right for your application. The Lotus components are extremely detailed, they aren't warm, they aren't forgiving. Rap and alternative, to be blunt, is very poorly recorded. Components like the Lotus References, while they'll bring out a ton of detail, will bring out every flaw in the music at the same time, and it'll probably get tiring after a while.

There are two places the Lotus comps lack: low end midbass and extreme top end in the tweeter. If you had the tweeter in a pillar or high in the door, this won't be as much of a problem. The midbass is rather vehicle dependant, but if you want hard hitting kick you in the chest midbass, these aren't the components for you. 80hz 2nd order is a realistic crossover frequency for most vehicles, though vehicles with smaller doors tend to give them a bit more authority down low (~60hz or so on a steeper x-over slope). It isn't that they won't play low or that they aren't clean down low, they just don't have that impact and peakiness that most people like, it's a flatter, drier sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
thanks jon. so if i wanted the "kick you in the chest" midbass, what sort of components should i look at? i hope to be pairing this with a JL 12W6, if that has any influence. thanks again for all the input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us