Do I Really need to upgrade my 6 1/2's?

Username: Raff24

Post Number: 1
My buddy has an 01' Volvo S60 with a really good stock stereo. He has stock 6 1/2's all the way around and wanted to amp his speakers to get more clarity at higher volume..

The best buy guy told us to upgrade our stock speakers or the amp will blow them out...The stock speakers are really good..Do i really need to replace them??

Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 126
you can't amp stock speakers lol. unless they are are rated at a higher wattage then what the factory amp or hu is putting out. then maybe, not a definate.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 499
yep you do, almost any aftermarket amp will put out more than the factory amp. Just get new ones.

Username: Van_man

Post Number: 7
I am running my stock 6x9 in the door with 170w amp and they are taking it so far. They are shaking the whole door and the gain is set @3/4. I was going to replace them but tried the amp first, and if they smoked then I would replace them. I say try it with the amp but dont max the gain, but plan on new speakers anyway...Personal I am waiting for mine to cook first.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1766
I would upgrade the speakers with an amp and keep the factory speaks,so if you sell or trade in the car...

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 849
You can amp any speaker, you just need to make sure you're not sending more continuous Wattage than your stock speaker can handle. In fact, they should sound much better on top of that.
6.5s will get loud and distort at a later time, the 6x9s will get louder, but distort earlier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us