Charging System Upgrade???

Bronze Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 66
I know i need a high output alternator for my car but i was wondering how much amperage would work for my application?

I have a JBL bp1200.1 amp that i want to wire to 1 ohm, so about 1200 watts. I have a yellow top battery also.

So for around 1200 watts how big of a alternator should i get? and where is a good place to get one for an inexpensive price?

oh, i know that most of you people in this fourm think that caps are the devil but do they serve a purpose at all, would it be good to have a cap after you get a bigger alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 214
180 amp to 220 cap is optional but it will make you amp run smother but ur alt to run harder

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1517
1200Watts/12.6 = about 96 amps. plus 40-50 for the car. so 180 will be fine.

do remember, if you add more later, you'll have to upgrade again, so its best to go ahead and give yourself some head room. plus, having a larger then necisary alternator can't hurt. the bigger the better!

caps do serve a purpose, but only if they are used with an upgraded electrical system. they can help stabalize voltage. helps with amps that have unregulates power supplies. smoothes out any AC ripple voltage too. prob some more things, but thats the main points. i think Glasswolf has a section on his page about caps.

also remember to upgrade the "big 3" to 2awg at least.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 67
should i run 2 awg wire to the amp too? i have 4 gauge now...

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 68
oh yeah what kind of cap is a good cap? i have looked for them and all's i find is a whole bunch of off brand companies, that just sound like they are krappy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us