Which will sound better in your opinion?

Bronze Member
Username: Nme

Post Number: 15
Okay I drive a 85 monte carlo and im in the process of replacing the rear speakers. I was building boxes similar to
_____<--behind back seat
\___\<---box
\_/<--speakers

that so the 6x9's will fit in the place of the old 4x10's. I started to wonder wether the boxes would make the speakers sound echoey and hollow or improve the overall sound. I started looking around online and found some kicker 4x10's

so which do you think will sound better

Kicker 4x10 2 ways or lanzar vibe (yes i know i got them for free) 6x9 3ways. In the boxes Thanks

Mark

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2590
best bet is to completely vent that rear deck for the air to couple from trunk to cabin for subs, and mount the 6x9s in the rear deck free-air.
here's some info on how to vent the rear deck properly:
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
well right now there are 2 grills 10 inches wide and 4 inches tall for each speaker. even if the entire back was done like that tutorial the 6x9s would not fit due to the shape of the trunk. So out of the 2 options which would you choose?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2606
if it were my car? honestly?
I'd vent the whole back deck for the subs, and put teh box in the trunk, so the air is, as noted before, coupled between cabin and trunk.
I'd forget rear fill entirely, and just put a very good front stage into the car.. some really good 6.5" separates or maybe even a 3 way system with as much room as your doors actually have..
depends on your willingness to modify the car's interior with some modded door panels etc.
I've done montes before. they have assloads of room.
here's more info on the cons of rear fill coutesy of yours truly:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=38.topic

nmeeee
Unregistered guest
i may consider that at a later date but for now i want to stick with either the 4x10s or 6x9s's i am also going to vent around where the speakers are mounted to make it hatch like. But from the two choices which will sound better???????????

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2619
ehh 4x10s just plain suck so I guess that answers your question

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
thanks. I plan on doing the thing with the rear deck for the most part. Just the vents it has now make it sound great at rattle less. Then i will mount the 6x9s like i plan to until i get enough money for some nice 6.5's and tweeters. Any good places in older monte carlos that would be a nice place for those 6.5's? The door panels seem shallow plus they are like mint so it would hurt to start chopping them up

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2634
then fiberglass kick panel pods
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us