How much of a difference does surface area make?

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 92
Example:

lets say (2) 12 inch subs at 300 RMS

VS

(3) 10 inch subs with 200 watts RMS

What kinda differnce would I notice?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
I guess another good example would be like, (4) 10 inch 150 watt subs vs (2) 12 inch 300 watt subs?

Same wattage but much more surface area.. difference?

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 426
There are differences between how 10's and 12's sound, but in theory, and assuming good installs, the 10's should be a good amount louder..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Yeah, i mean sound is based off of air movment, so technically more surface area should yield higher DB..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5851
2 12s have more surface area than 3 10s do.

4 10s have more surface area than 2 12s do.

Theoretically, 2 12s will get louder than 3 10s. On top of that, 4 10s would get louder than 3 12s.

But the difference in sub size also relates to where the drivers will be most efficient. A 10" will tend to be as efficient or more efficient at higher frequencies, and at that point if you were to have equal surface area between both sizes, the 10s would typically get louder due to where their efficiency lies. Likewise, a 12" would be more efficient down low, thus be louder at that point.

This is the same reason that ported is "louder" than sealed. It isn't because ported is louder at every frequency, but because you are extending the bandwidth down low. With a typical subwoofer in a sealed box, Fc (resonance of the system) will occur somewhere around 50hz, and begins rolling off around 12db/octave below that. Where, with a ported box, you will typically maintain a flat response down to the tuning frequency, or at least somewhere near the tuning frequency, and see a higher order rolloff below that point (24db/oct or above). When taken over an average of the bandwidth, ported enclosures will average somewhere around 3db louder (but is not always 3db louder at a specific point, sometimes more, sometimes less). A simple plot in WinISD will show you this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
"Fc (resonance of the system) will occur somewhere around 50hz, and begins rolling off around 12db/octave below that. "

That confused me a little. Can you explain what you mean by that? Do you mean in sealed boxes you dramatically lose db's the lower the hz goes?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5853
"That confused me a little. Can you explain what you mean by that? Do you mean in sealed boxes you dramatically lose db's the lower the hz goes?"

Yup, in an anechoic chamber. In a room or a car, however, the transfer function ("cabin gain" in car audio) compensates for this rolloff and provides a relatively flat response sealed. With a ported box, it's extended output down low in combination with cabin gain tends to produce a peak in lower frequencies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Hm, so your saying a ported box, correctly tuned to a low frequency, should give u more of a deep "feely" bass hit/production than a sealed in a car cabin? I'm referring to like 20-25 hz area.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5855
If you tune it that low, absolutely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Hah, now I feel dumb for buying/building a sealed box :-(

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 566
My last system I used 3 Fosgate punch 2 in a sealed enclosure, my single RE sx15" in a ported enclosure is much louder. Excursion also plays in this factor. Polo.. Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
It takes a lot of know-how to properly design a ported box though, urgh, its overwhelming lol

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1497
nice weed wacker, you have there polo.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 430
Well I dunno about other 10's vs 12's, but my 3 10's have more surface area than 2 12's of the same subs...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us