Alpine F-1s

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 752
I heard the Alpine F-1 status 3 way set today...wow...nothing i have heard has even come close to it. i got to hear them and a set of dynaudio 340s and the F-1s didnt even make it a close fight. i was very very impressed. if anyone has some money to spend on a top of the line component set make sure you take a good look at the F-1s.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2296
interesting. they're based loosely on these: http://www.tymphany.com/prodscanspeak.php

From what I understand, they did a poor job trying to improve upon the platform.
Glad to hear they still sound great though.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5846
I've heard the Alpines and wasn't hugely impressed when compared to the Revelators they're based upon, they sounded dull and dead in comparison. Revelators aren't exactly a detail type of driver themselves, not the best anyway. I've heard that the Genesis comps are much closer to what Scan-speaks sound like, but I couldn't tell you.

They are better than most mobile audio components, though. Just pull your K-Y out when you pay that much for what you get, you may as well put together a DIY system that can better it. Even if you don't know how you could still afford to buy the raw drivers AND pay somebody to install and tune them for you.

One more thing:

SEAS > Scan-Speak :-) Muahahahaha

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 755
i wish i could hear some of the SEAS but i can honestly say noone has any around here, that i know of. same with the genesis.

ive never got to hear the 360 dyns in a car, but ive heard them in a sound studio and they seemed very impressive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
Hertz also went with a limited edition handmade version of the scanspeaks.
I tell you Jonathan, I'm going to end up getting those SEAS based on your opinion alone. Everytime I listen to my 6.3, it occurs to me that even in their immaculate clarity, the signals are still but a reproduction through "earmuffs" when compared to the SEAS. Right after I trade my 9835 and c710 for a d-310 HU, those babies are mine. And I've heard both the Genesis amps and drivers are about the richest sounding available. Says even plenty more about the SEAS.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5847
"Hertz also went with a limited edition handmade version of the scanspeaks.
I tell you Jonathan, I'm going to end up getting those SEAS based on your opinion alone. Everytime I listen to my 6.3, it occurs to me that even in their immaculate clarity, the signals are still but a reproduction through "earmuffs" when compared to the SEAS. Right after I trade my 9835 and c710 for a d-310 HU, those babies are mine. And I've heard both the Genesis amps and drivers are about the richest sounding available. Says even plenty more about the SEAS."

Why not just do a DIY kit for home audio? Then you could have something even better without having to rip your car all apart :-) If you like em, get some in your rig, too. The home is a much more desirable place for critical listening, anyway. Madisound has the kits, even the boxes assembled if you wanted them.

The 5 inchers are the ones with the best clarity, particularly the one with the Hexadym motor (W15CH). That's the earmuff remover. The rest are exceptional, too. Most definately more detailed than Revelators.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5848
BTW, you're in Atlanta from time to time, right? I'm in Atlanta every once in a while. If I end up getting a new truck and I give the green light to the audio project, I'll be more than happy to let you listen to them once they're installed. Of course, I'll need to have the processor, sub, so on to make it a fair comparison, but once I get it all finished and tuned I'll give you an audition.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2299
That's a bet. And most appreciated. I'll be there April 10 for a week. After that, I won't drop by until summer around June. If you have the truck done by the end of the summer break, I will definitely mark it as something to look forward to.

As far as listening to sounds at home, I can never truly get the peace and quiet required to fully enjoy the experience. That's why I'm selling all of my production equipment. I just can't get invloved enough now that I have the fam around. Besides that, I'm not set on where to settle down at just yet. Between Chi, Atl, and Oakland. Once I figure that out and settle in an actual house, I will be much more enthusiastic about setting up the home stereo. And by then, I'll be more educated too. Not to mention, that's a whole other "tax bracket" of a hobby to commit to. And I go pretty hard :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5849
As tight as money is right now, the end of summer is more realistic. No way in the world I'll have it by April 10. May not even finish by summer for all I know.

But even if I just have the comps in by then I'll still drop in and give you a listen since that's what you want to hear anyway. It'll be cool, I'd like to hear those Iridiums. Truck I'm looking at is a newer Ranger, the comps would probably be in the door spots though nothing is concrete. Won't be a blow you away install, but it should give good results once I put some processing to it.Of course, if I do doors the mids would be angled toward me, possibly with the tweets in that spot to since there was a 6x8 there originally. I'd like to keep it stealth if I can. Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2300
Sweet.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 756
mikechec how much did you pay for your DLS 6.3s? i think i asked you before but i forgot. the DLS dealer by my house said something around 1000 which i thought was a little steep.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5850
Dunno if this helps, www.mobilesq.com is an authorized retailer and sells the 6.3s for $880.

You could find them cheaper scouring forums or ebay. I see them sell on ECA fairly often.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 757
thanks jonathan. ive been to that site a few times. how are the SEAS lotus ref. ranges? ive never heard them. also do you know if they come in a 3 way?

ive got a friend who is going to be on team zapco pretty soon, so hopefully he can cut me a deal on a zapco competition amp for them...now i just need to get rid of my hifonics amps for my subs.....ehh i need a job.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2308
"mikechec how much did you pay for your DLS 6.3s? i think i asked you before but i forgot. the DLS dealer by my house said something around 1000 which i thought was a little steep."

I paid just under 600.00 for the 6.3 brand new on ebay. The store that sold them admitted that they are not supposed to, so they open up an auction only every so often on ebay. The downside is they don't honor the warranty they promote. If you are not certain what you are doing, it is well worth it to just save and pay the extra 300.00. I believe the Lotus are in the 700.00 range brand new and authorized.
No issues with my set, though. Just watch the xo of that 3". They are very accurate and extremely revealing. Not as neutral and rich as the Morel or Dynaudio's. More lively. I think I'm going to go that route with my next install (if I can afford it). But the 3" and the 6.5 do an excellent job of providing what the other lacks. One without the other would be an incomplete set imo. 3ways are just such a burden to get perfect. And with a set of this caliber and cost, nothing less than perfection will suffice (that's why I'm moving mine to the A-pillar :-) ).

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11417
jake, where did you hear the dyn and alpine drivers?
if it was on a sound board, forget anything you heard.
environment makes or breaks a good set of components, as does the install, so it's very hard to judge the dynaudio system 340 with it's 6dB sloped XO on a soundboard with the speakers mounted in a board firing at the opposing wall. Scanspeak, SEAS, Peerless etc all make some good speakers, but if you really want to audition F1 comps, Dyn, Rainbow, Focal, DLS, etc.. it needs to be in a car.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 773
i heard them in cars and both had professional installs. im going to a DLS dealer tomorrow and also going to look at those zapco amps. im really hoping to get good prices on this stuff but i cant see myself paying anymore than 2500-2800 for speakers, speaker amp, and sub amp(s).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us