Which Subs to Choose

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 553
Ok, I started to tear the sh!t out of my car AGAIN so I could make the templets for the enclosure side walls. I haven't figured out which sub(s) I am going to go with, either these two RE sx15's or a single(s) new Re XXX. I think the twins in the back seat are HOT, lol. I still have to remove the sh!t off the deck lid, that is where the two monster 6" are going to go, aero's of course. I propped up the two sx's just to get the feel for it. Polo. :-O

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Alabama

Post Number: 1036
i would go with the new xxx

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 554
Me too but they aren't here yet, in 15s that is...

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2016
looks like somone cant fit them 15s... lol

your trunk is almost identical to mines.. lol
try to move the 15s back some, u will be able to stand them up straight vertically (16mm).. The back deck is alot lower than the trunk itself....

they way u have them slanted under the deck (14mm), will be a tight fit, and that will work best if you are walling the entire trunk right there.. << u will have to build the box in the trunk that way..

my box fit in the car with like less than 1/2inch clearence... I cant however slide all they way to the front, bc the back deck is low..

the front of my box stops where the back deck ends..
Upload

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 555
B, the Idea is to gain some of my trunk back, I do have two kids and a B!tch (wife), lol. I wan't the subs to mount behind the back seat which will be hinged and able to fold down. The back deck will house the dual 6in Aero's. I made cardboard templates (pain in the @ss) for all four sides. I ordered some more Dyna so the MDF doesn't actually touch bare metal. There is plenty of room for the 15's, more than I thought. I have a 2 in lip I can nibble to get them even higher if need be. I was thinking of using bungie cord to remount the seat and use it as a passive radiator when the seat is up, lol. :-O Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2368
2 6 inch aeros wont be enough for 2 sx 15s. marshal says around 50 sq inch port 32hz tune 4-4.5 sqft net each sub. so youd be looking at appx 4 6 inch ports.

Bronze Member
Username: Custom_boxes

Post Number: 54
y do people have the subs facin in the car they dont sound go0d that way imo

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 561
y do people have the subs facin in the car they dont sound go0d that way imo

If it is a clean sounding sub like an REsx, facing in is not a problem. Trevor, what program are you using because at that space I am figuring four 6" ports at a reasonable length would tune in the 40's hz range. What programs are you guys using? I would prefer 4 six in ports, looks cooler, lol. I have four 4" ports on my present box which tunes to 42hz. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 239
there was actually a test on that once. they concluded that if you face your subs toward the rear of the car and have them about 2-3ft. away from where the trunk latches it will be louder on the inside of the car than it would be on the outside. but the way B has his box it is louder on the out side than on the inside, dont ask me why its too much to explain. ill try to find the site.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6853
B has it that way ONLY becuase of how huge his box is - yes he could face it backwards but there is insufficient space 2 get proper bass resonation ....

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 402
Yea and for the record, Custom Boxes, you asked that same question in my thread about why I had mine in the back seat, and, like it says in my post, the reason is because they wouldn't fit in my trunk, lol

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1139
if you face it towards the back also i find you get more rattling

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 413
"there was actually a test on that once. they concluded that if you face your subs toward the rear of the car and have them about 2-3ft. away from where the trunk latches it will be louder on the inside of the car than it would be on the outside. but the way B has his box it is louder on the out side than on the inside, dont ask me why its too much to explain. ill try to find the site."

It's louder outide because the subs are only like 5 feet away from you and the lowest tones have wavelenths that are like 10-15 feet and you need to be half the distance of the wavelenth from the source to here it.....i think.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 419
I read that whole article about that. According to the article its because there is an incident wave (the sound coming from your subs) and also a reflection wave (the wave as it hits the rear of your trunk and gets bounced back toward the front). If you position the subs facing the rear, but slid back up against the back of the rear seats, you allow just enough room for the incident wave and the reflective wave to line up with eachother. If you turn the box around, or slide it to the back of the trunk, you misalign the two waves, and they can cancel eachother out. This is also a large factor in why some cars are so much louder naturally than others, because of the distance between the rear of the trunk and the subs being larger or smaller, it can align or misalign the 2 waves.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2057
yea, its the only way mines could fit, I must say its loud, in and out... lol It really really travels too... I know 1 fact, its the loudest in competition and on the mic when measured, if the subs are facing into the cab!! Its also even better if you wall it, and face it into the cab!!
I have also read that article, I have it somewhere, I will post it back soon...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us