I Need Some Help.

Username: Bbrampower

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, my name is Mike and I am rather new to the whole world of car audio. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab, and I was thinking about putting subwoofers in it. I found a box that fits under the back bench, and now I am looking for subwoofers and amps. I was thinking about getting 2 8" subs, possibly the JL Audio 8W3v2. They are RMS at 125 watts, but I also heard that the JL recommanded power is extremely underestimating the subs. So would I be able to use an amp that puts out RMS of 150 watts, and also what kind of amp do I need.

I also have some questions about amps in general. What do all the things they say about amps mean. I know what RMS is what is the bridged RMS power thing. How are oms involved with subs and amps. Is it the lower oms the more powerful or how does that work.

What is THD at RMS power mean, its some kind of percent

What is Build in Crossover, preamp output, and Bass Boost

It would be nice if you guys could answer me these questions, sorry if they may sound noobish, I new to this whole audio thing but I would like to learn about it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2537
ok, first, the 8W3v2 is a nice sub, and for two of them, the best match for an amp would be the JL 250/1
that'd give you a very conservatively rated 150wRMS per sub.. real world, closer to 200w each.
JL matches their subs and amps very well.
They also make very good products in both catagories.

as for understanding amplifier ratings and such, see:
www.bcae1.com
great resource.
good FAQs here, too:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 37
Go with 10's you will want them after you hear your 8's. Youll thanks me later!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us