2 JL 12w7's? With Hifonics 1500 amp

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 270
Getting WAY ahead of myself but thought I would ask. I have a Hifonics Brutis 1500 D amp, puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms, 1000 watts at 2 ohms so the JL 12 w7 I just got should be a perfect match for it. 750 RMS sub at 3 ohms and the amp should do that.

Now, my question is, if down the road I get another 12w7 (got to save a lot) and hook it up is the power from the amp like split if I hook the subs in parallel, so the amp is still putting out 750 to each sub at 3 ohms?

Will be a while before I can afford another W7 but just thought I would ask now to see if the amp needs to be upgraded.

Thanks
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1726
first that amp is overrated and will never see that power at a stock charging system, secondly, youll need another amp if you gete another sub....

Bronze Member
Username: Akula_class

Post Number: 43
x2 With your 12w7 you'll need a 2nd amp to properly power your subs. And nothing against Hifonics (I reccommend them alot) I'd find another amp to power the w7, if your going to move up to 2.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5409
Why in the world would you power W7 with Hifonics amp? That makes as much sense as putting $1000 wheels on a $300 car.
Instead of trying to get another W7, invest that money on a good quality amp.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 305
I know for the money stand point just save your money and get an amp that is going to power that sub correctly and cleanly......instead of worrying about buying anouther 12w7.....why not invest that into a 1000/1. i can almost guarentee that setup will not disappoint you.

Username: Skelly

Post Number: 7
just recently purchased that setup with the ho box. you will not be dissapointed. very loud. very clean.

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 55
Get 2 Brutus 1500d's..this will run u about $500.. DO NOT waste your money and buy 2 1000/1's which will run u umm... $1300 for a pair!...althought the quality of the JL amp is a bit better u will be just as satisfied with the hifonics...for a whooping $800 dollars less...nobody likes wasting money.

oh and def upgrade alternator. unless u run them at 4 ohms getting 500 watts each then u would be on the boarder line...

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 819
You know, you could just get a Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1, it puts out more power than a JL 1000.1, and also has the same ability to put out a steady wattage at varying ohm loads.

Silver Member

Post Number: 820
btw, I'm running a pair of Xenon 600.1's to my JL 13W7 and am very happy with it.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 589
if i was going to spend that much money on a sub, i would get an amp to back it up b4 i get another, just put it in a bogger box and run 1 sub with a really good amp.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 271

quote:

Why in the world would you power W7 with Hifonics amp? That makes as much sense as putting $1000 wheels on a $300 car.
Instead of trying to get another W7, invest that money on a good quality amp.

Well, this is all I have to work with right now and if I should look at another amp before I get another sub than that is cool. I have not heard it yet because I am still waiting on the enclosure I ordered.

Maybe I should rephrase my original question....if you hook two subs up to the same amp, say in parallel, is the power equally distributed or split ( ie an amp rated at 750 at 3 ohms, so you hook one single 3 ohm voice coil speaker up to it and you get 750 how about two in parallel do the speakers get 750 EACH or half of that?)

Glass are you out there? Would love to get your 2 cents plus is my amp THAT bad? I knew they were a "budget" amp but it's no flea market amp either, as far as I know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 821
750 at 3 ohms, to a pair of subs = 375 each sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 822
btw, I used a Brutus 1605D to power a 13W7 @ .7 ohms.. It handled it pretty well.. Much happier using the pair of 600.1's, however.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 278
Thanks I appreciate it, now I know, so if I do decide to get that second 12w7 then maybe I will check into that 1000/1 JL also, however I guess that brings up a whole new ball of wax, so if I decide to get a 2nd 12w7 then what? Two amps or one big as* amp for both of them?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6869
IMO - all those Hif amps mentioned above will NOT do a proper job

if u have $ buy 1 1000/1 / sub

or possibly 1 1200 xeneon / sub - u WILL have 2 watch how u crank it up cause imo this PG amp will be too strong 4 1 sub

i think ur safest bet would def be 1 1000/1 amp/sub & if u can't afford JL amps u might as well change ur entire set up & go with different subs/amps......

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 58
You could even get 2 500/1 jl amps and power 1 on each. Ive heard both connected and you will be satisfied with the 500/1 aswell.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11401
@ 3 ohms you'll get 750 watts (ideally)
wiring two W7s in parallel is a 1.5 ohm load.
that amp is stable to 1 ohm I believe.
so, yes, you'll still get 750 to each sub with two in parallel on that amp.

it should work fine.
750 watts is a rating at full output anyway, and most likely, you'll be using less power than that continuously anyway so who cares if the amp is a bit under-rated?

Bronze Member
Username: Cocizzie

Post Number: 12
hifonics has an high end line of amps called generation xx you can get the zeus 1600rms@1 ohms for about $400 or the hercules 2000rms@1 ohms for about $480 and if you need more they have a 3200,5000and 10,000watt rms amps(for alot more of course)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us