Do i need a capacitor??

Username: Doughy_fella

Post Number: 1
Hey All... i'm new 2 car audio, but i'm gona b gettin myself a system 4 my car soon. i've already told the guy @ the shops what i want... but i'm not sure if i'm gettin all i need.
My car is a stock standard Ford Laser 89 sedan and i'm gettin a 12" Pioneer Sub, 2 x 6" JVC speakers, a Pioneer MP3 head unit, and a no name amp... all for $400. if u can't tell, i'm on a tight budget, but like i say, i'm not sure if i'll need a capacitor 4 my sub. i already have a larger than normal battery in the car and i'm not lookin 2 bounce the neighbourhood with bass... i just want it decent.
so yeh... can any1 tell me if i'll need a capacitor 4 my sub?? thanx in advance =)

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 13
How many watts is the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1454
a capacitor won't do any good if you don't have the electrical system behind it. i'd save that money and invest it in a HO Alt. how many watts is the amp??

but if you do decide to get a cap, the general rule is 1 Farad per ever 1000 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 119
a capacitor should be an upgrade after u upgrade your altanator with a high output one but you prolly wont need neither because i dont think youll be pulling alot of power with 1 12" pioneer

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 734
that's a very basic install. Don't worry about a cap. Just make sure the amp wiring is done correctly (8 ga pwr/ground) and you should be good to go.

Post Number: 2
ummm... i'm not sure bout the amps power... but the bloke @ the shop reckoned it would do the job

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 740
well, if you got a decent HU, sub, pair of speakers and an amp - it simply CAN'T be that powerful.

IMO a cap isn't ever a NECESSITY, and certianly not in your case.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1479
most shops and even auto parts stores don't even know what a HO Alt is. they only know and sell power caps, so thats what they do. it'll seem to help at first, but it'll all eventually fail.

a cap has its purposes, but one is not to replace an alternator.

Post Number: 4
ok thanks 4 that then... looks like i'll just give it a go as is... and then maybe upgrade my alternator. Like i say, i wasn't sure what i needed, but i found out that some systems need the capacitor. so i was just wantin 2 make sure. Cheers :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 21
If i was to add maybe 3 of these earthquake 2.5 (rated for 4000watt each)Farad Caps to my system ( 10,000watt earthquake monoblock 1ohm (2) 12''audiobahn subs 4000watt each, 200A alternator(until nathan gets back to me on the 2 300+ im asking about) and my 1 redtop and 2 interstate batterys) if i let the 3 caps get a full charge and stayed driving or keeping my alternator putting out high amps would this allow me to turn my amp up to higher settings without my lights dimming as easy, maybe get a extra 5 minutes of power to stop my power from dimming and other things from getting power clipped from it, i think that may have been what cause my last cd deck to stop playing cds without skipping. I have serious power issues i can about kill my engine in seconds from taking enough power by turning the amp up.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us