Alpine 9813 system Hz settings

Bronze Member
Username: Steveo

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 31
Having issues setting up my new system. Too many variable for my ears to calculate. Basically, I don't know where to put the X-over at for the components sub and rear fill. My equipment is as follows:

-Alpine 9813
-Kicker 800.4
-Kicker CompVR 12" Sub (only one)
-Polk GSX
-CDT 6.5 Components -3db, 0, or +3db

--Alpine 9813
Low, Front, Rear all 50-200 Hz

--Kicker 800.4
Components 50-200 Hz filter low, high, none
Sub low filter 50-200 Hz filter low, high, or none

--CDT 6.5 Components -3db, 0, or +3db

My question is where should the amp and deck settings be (roughly). I thought the sub should be around 50-100Hz (sounds better at 100Hz) and the mids/highs at 125Hz, but they seem to be doing better at 160Hz.

Sub is wired in parallel. However, my connections are slightly different that what kicker states although I don't think it matters. For example there are four connections red, black, red/white dot, black/white dot. The red/white and red are connected together and then the black and black/white are connected together. I have this connected as kicker says. However, the difference is the connection I use to go to the amp. I used the red/white (also connected to the red) to connect to the + on the amp and the black/white to the - on the amp. Now that I read the Kicker manual it shows the black/white connected to the - (which I have connected. The difference lies with the red and red/white. Kicker has the red going to the amp. I have the red/white going to the amp. I wouldn't think this would matter since they are all conneceted?

I am clueless on how to set this deck and amp to work together. When I start to pound it hard the amp shuts off; then I turn down the volume and the amp kicks back on. It was doing this alot when I first hooked it up about a week ago, but is doing better as time goes on and speaker/amp break in. Maybe it's related to the way I have the speaker wired?

Any help to get my system set properly would be greatly appreciated. SteveO-

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 33
Also, will the S-L and S-R time correction do anything for me with the single 12" sub?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2529
time correction is more for teh components than the sub.
don't even worry about that. just leave it flat.

use the alpine as your crossover just for simplicity sake
set fronts at 100Hz, 12dB Q factor, 0 gain
set rears at 200Hz, 12dB, 0 gain
set sub to 80Hz, 18dB, gain, up to you.. if ya want more bass, turn it up to +3 to start

EQ, set that however ya like.
I find the pop or flat to work best, depending on MX button use

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 34
Should I use the high and low pass filters on the amp respectively?

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 37
What does the MX button do? It seems to help my system bump without shutting off - as much.... It sounds cleaner but seems to have an echo. Don't know if it's a real "natural" sound when its on. Dunno?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us