Wiring Help

iamduff
Unregistered guest
I bought my car with the ground/power/and remote wires in it already. I had an old system hooked up to it that worked. I am now in the process of installing some more subs and amp. I only have those 3 wires and i read that i need RCA cables also.

Why do i need those and how come my previous system worked with out them? All information please im rather new to this . Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 61
If I understand correctly, you had an older system in which the head unit was feeding the speakers (high level signal), and now you have an amp to feed the speakers. You need the RCA plugs to connect the new head unit to the amp, because now you won't use the amplification part of the head unit. You'll use the pre-amplification part of the head unit to feed the amp (low level signal), then the amp will feed the speakers (high level). Some amps accept also feeding from the head unit's high level signal. Hope I helped.

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 64
power goes from teh amp and connects to the battery.

ground goes from amp and connects to a piece of BARE metal on the frame of the car.

remote goes into the back of the HU so when the HU turns on, it turns on the amp as well. or you could wire in a switch so the amp isnt on all the time while the HU is on.

RCA's go from the amp to the HU. they send the signal from the HU to the amp.

you didnt need them before because you were probably powering speakers from the HU's internal amplifier. the HU's internal amplifier is no wheres near as powerful enough to power subwoofers, so thats why you need an amplifier and the wires for the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us