I think I made a BIG mistake..HELP

Username: Savy5tyle

Post Number: 1
I'm rather new to the car audio world so please bear with me.. I purchased 3 Alpine Type R 1221 (2ohm) subs.. I got the Alpine MRD M1000 Amplifier to power them...

Will this work? I'm thinking it might not due to the ohm load I'll be getting with those 3 subs..

ANY help would be nice, thx..

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 488
its going to get a 1.3 ohm load if you wire the VCs in series and subs paralell, and that amp cannot take that low of a load so i would reccomend a different amp or different subs

Post Number: 2
Is there any way I can wire them to obtain a 2 ohm load?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 498
i really cant say i know a way that you can...

Post Number: 3
I know the m1000 isn't stable down to 1.3 ohms..but is there any possible way it could maybe handle it??? Perhaps Alpine doesn't want to say 1 ohm stable because of reliablity issues?

Like I said I'm a complete noob...

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 60
it could very well harm not only your amp, but your subs as well. the amp would clip, prolly shut off and have the protection light come on since the load is too much, and eventually overheat and be useless. when the amp clips it creates distortion for your subs, so its not just an amp issue wiring it to 1 ohm, but also an issue for your subs. id recommend not doing it, and getting an amp stable at 1 ohm.

Post Number: 4
So basically I'm screwed...great...I'm gonna send the Subs back and just get the 1241's...

Or would I be better off getting a new amp? If thats the case I'll get the PG TI 1200

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 62
JBL BP1200.1 would be a better bet if you get a new amp. 1200 watts might be a bit much for the subs.

Three 4 ohm DVC subs would give you a 2.67 ohm load, if you go that route.

Post Number: 5
Good News, I called Ikesound today and my Subs weren't yet shipped so I I changed the order to 3 1241's...

Thx for ur help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us